Southeast Asia forum

WOMAN SOLO TO THAILAND, CAMBODIA, LAOS, VIETNAM

• jajaradak

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2012

Hi everyone,
    I'm a Malaysian girl, aged 25. I plan to backpacking to all these countries for about 1 month and half. I would love to try backpacking alone, as all my friends could not join me. I will travel on a tight budget, the cheapest as I able to. So I will somehow try to use land transportation as much as I can.

From Kuala Lumpur, I will take flight to Bangkok-Kanchanaburi (Erawan waterfall, national park, limestone)- Seam Riep-Phnom Penh-Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)-Dalat (mountains, waterfall, lake)- Hoi An- Halong Bay-Hanoi-Sapa (trekking, mountains)-Luang Prabang-Chiang Mai-Pai (trekking)- Mae Hong Son- Bangkok- Kuala Lumpur
    I would love to see Ban Gioc waterfall in vietnam..

Hence, I really appreciate if you could tell me how much I need to spend for each day, the overall trip.. and also any parts which require high expenses..
    This is my first time travelling solo, so i'm a little bit scared. However, I will consider for travel buddy.
    Thank you very much for your help. :)

#1 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 04:22

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Well, a lot of the things you're planning to do aren't that cheap... nor is flying everywhere, also it's a short time, you may be cramming too much in.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 10:49

• jajaradak

Joined Travelfish
    10th May, 2012

Maybe I will skip the itinerary, but I really wanted to see Ban Gioc waterfall... Lets say I f I only have US$1,000 in hand, which include everything eg flight, transportation, eat, sleep... where do you suggest me to?

#3 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 11:06

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

My last trip, 1.5 months ago I spent an average of $30 a day for 3 months, this did not include flight, some days it was more, sometimes less, tours can be expensive. Really all you need to do is research and take travelling time into account. Planning your route is up to you and what interests you the most - :)

#4 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 00:35

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi,

You've picked some really great places to go, but I don't think it's doable with the amount of time and money you have. It takes A LONG time to travel many of the routes you're planning (12 to 30 hours for most of those legs over land) and there's also a fair amount of border crossing, so altogether that would mean about half of your total time on buses. You'd be pulling in to a destination, spending one day there, then shoving off the next day for another 20 hour bus ride. Doesn't seem very enjoyable to me.

But also, with the budget, you're looking at about US $21 per day - not very much - and I don't think that itinerary is possible considering you would need to pay for local transport and/or tours and/or rent motorbike and/or hire guides for a lot of the things you want to do (i.e. Ha Long Bay, Sapa , Mae Hong Son , Pai, Da Lat, around Kanchanaburi, around Angkor), so those costs plus the long-haul travel costs (even by land) will eat up that $21 per day fast. If it were me, as your itinerary stands, I'd be stressed out about money and that would kind of ruin the trip.

I'm not trying to discourage you - you can definitely have a great experience with the time and money you do have - but I think you should reconsider. Pick the regions or destinations that you want to see the most and save the rest for another trip. If you really want to see Ban Gioc waterfall then make that a priority and go see it! But going all the way to Laos just for a couple days in Luang Prabang might not be worth it. Also if you trek Sapa it's probably not worth trekking Mae Hong Son too (or vice versa), etc. etc.

I know it feels like you have a nice loop planned around the region, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you got 2/3 of the way through and had to go straight home because you're almost out of money. And in terms of time that's a lot of ground to cover in 45 days.

You have to figure out how to do it - there are endless options: you could just pick a couple countries, pick some regions over others, or still hit all 4 countries but only 2 or 3 highlights in each one - it's up to you.

Best of luck,
    DL

#5 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 09:01

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Very good points :)

#6 Posted: 12/5/2012 - 10:24

• ashw1n

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2012
    Location India

Totally agree with the comments above... if u wanna stick to that itinerary it might soon start eating up all the money uve planned fr the whole thing... and more than money the time is gonna b an issue once u r dere... most important.. for d first time trying solo... all d things u plan won't fall in place.. Like d transportation.. Weather, entry fee differences or temporary closure @ certain places, etc etc.. so that can prove costly money wise n time wise.... I'm not dat experienced traveler but ive got bitten by dese issues during my first solo.. just keep a reserve amount accessible throughout ur trip.. apart from ur budget... and try to avoid a list with places scattered throughout the map... coz dat way most of ur time will b wasted on transportation... I believe ur time limit is fixed... if u can manage all dese issues traveling solo will b very addictive n in a few trips...

I'm plannin a trip to Laos, Cambodia n Thailand this July n Aug.. almost 3weeks as well.. have a few local friends in bkk/ayuthaya.. hope to see dem again and some travel photography.. that’s the most fun part of traveling solo.. uget to meet a lotta new ppl backpackers groups… localites… get to noe bout new things u can do.. new places u neva knew wen u were planning.. We could share some info on the trips n places must c... bitspidey@gmail.com if it coincides could meet up fr a drink too… :)

#7 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 05:19

• charina

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2012

Hi Indochina!
    when are you planning to start your travel?
    i'm gonna be doing the same...am planning to travel solo bangkok-siem reap..i already have my tickets booked..would you mind if i join you? i'm looking also for a travel buddy to share the expenses since i have a VERY limited budget..and would be great to share great adventure together..by the way, i'm a 22 years old filippina but i lived in milan, italy and i will be coming HOME(the philippines) for a vacarion and there is my jump point for my travel..
    Cheers!

#8 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 09:40

• ashw1n

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2012
    Location India

nyone interested in joinin me on a thai-lao-cambodia trip towards the end of july plz add me on fb with the same id ive posted on my previous comment.. or send me an email on the same... traveling solo is fun but sharing expenses lays more options...

#9 Posted: 30/5/2012 - 00:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
23/F - Solo through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam ... By mishka1988 on 22 Dec 2011 0 1286 22 Dec 2011
22/M solo Thailand Cambodia Vietnam & Laos ... By Priggadopalas on 26 Nov 2012 1 837 12 Dec 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia August - September - 36/m solo ... By Trainsmash on 17 Jul 2012 0 1045 17 Jul 2012
solo female traveler in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam May 26-Aug ... By Heathermenz on 5 May 2011 7 3537 8 May 2012
solo 30 y.o female traveller from UK Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia ... By beatgirl98 on 19 Nov 2010 5 3579 30 Oct 2012
26/m/irish solo travelling to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore ... By GavinIrish1 on 12 Mar 2012 7 1917 1 Apr 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 2 months for a solo female traveler ... By linalfonso on 27 Mar 2012 14 4775 11 Oct 2012
solo 23/M planning on thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia and maybe malaysia starting 29Dec. ... By robbell on 16 Dec 2011 8 1726 16 Jan 2012
solo woman 31 years old thailand, bali and etc 21.09-01.11 ... By vilma_79 on 20 Sep 2010 0 1201 20 Sep 2010
24/M/ UK Travelling solo mid july --> thailand, laos, cambodia ... By Jduncan123 on 7 May 2012 7 1417 13 May 2012