Southeast Asia forum

SEA 8 Weeks Itinerary

• dominicpenn-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2011

Hi Folks

Myself and my girlfriend are looking for trip advice. We have 8 weeks and not much money but want to see the best of Thailand, Loas, Vietnam and Cambodia has to offer.

We like beaches, beautiful views and good food. We aren't bothered about visiting big cities or anywhere that is over-run by tourism.

Any 'must-see' places you can recommend would be brilliant...

#1 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 05:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey dominic,

which of the four countries you mention is most important for you and your sweetie to visit? i ask because i don't think you'll have enough time to visit all four, particularly if you don't have much money to catch a few internal or regional flights while you are there.

given what you've mentioned, southern thailand is an obvious choice, with heaps of good beaches and beautiful views. but cambodia might be a good choice for you too, with some quality beaches and the chance to visit angkor wat, which is a "must-see" location.

if you are looking for something different, i'd recommend northeastern thailand (isan) and southern laos. northeastern thailand is definitely off the beaten path, is less expensive than other areas in thailand, has lots of friendly people, and best of all, puts you within striking distance of southern laos for visits to pakse, the bolevans plateau, champassak and wat phu, and the four thousand islands.

anyway, that's just an idea or two to get the conversation started. what is your daily budget for the two of you and where are you flying in/out? cheers.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2012 - 20:29

• dominicpenn-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2011

We were thinking:

fly into bangkok 11th August
    overnight train to surat thani, couple of nights on the islands
    Two trains up to Chiang Mai, few days there
    Over to Loas, wekk in Loas ending in Vientiane
    Fly to Hanoi (Not taken out of the daily budget)
    Coastal hop on hop off bus down Vietnam
    Up through Cambodia
    End back in Bangkok for our flight to Australia 7th October

Budgeting £15-£20 per day
    What do you think?

#3 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 03:06

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I'll be interested to hear what others think, but it seems to me like you are spending most of your holiday moving around and very little enjoying where you are. Is there any chance of slimming down that itinerary? For example, spending more time in southern Thailand and saving the Vietnam portion for another time? Or skipping southern Thailand?

Also, is that GBP 15-20 per day for both of you or do you have that much each? The more you move around, the more you spend on transport, leaving a whole lot less for food and accommodation.

#4 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 05:50

• dominicpenn-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2011

We have that each so I think we may be ok.

I know we're going to be moving round a lot but we want to see as much as we can so we don't mind travelling a lot really.

I appreciate what you're saying in terms of time-scale but this is really the only chance we have. The trip can be done in 5 weeks apparently! So 8 will be a push but I think do-able.
    I appreciate you responding to my post! Any other tips you or anyone else could offer would be greatfully received.

#5 Posted: 11/5/2012 - 06:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.