Southeast Asia forum

what to do with my backpac?!

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

Hi
    What do you do with your big backpac if you were going on a 3day trek? I have a little backpac I would take on my treks but im unsure if it is safe to leave my big backpac at a guest house while im on my trek..? is it safe? what to do?

#1 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 02:42

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I have left my pack quite a few times with a guesthouse or travel agent and never had a problem - omce for nearly a month. I always padlock it up, and obviously don't leave any valuables in it that you aren't prepared to lose (worst case). I have left my netbook and/or DSLR camera once or twice when I had to get away with just a daypack; it;s obviously a risk, but it's worked out OK for me.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 03:23

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Many places have a pack-closet where they keep guest's bags for just these circumstances -as lizzy says, it is a good idea to lock your bag up if you keep valuables in it - though that is why i recommend not traveling with any valuables - the most valuable thing I usually have is my pack. I've left my bag a number of times but was only afraid it'd be stolen because then I'd come back and have nothing clean to wear.

If your place doesn't have a storage spot - then if you've booked your 3 day trek with a tour-spot, they should certainly have same type closet for just such occasion. Chances are these are very safe spots to store things, as the last thing these businesses want is negative press about letting things get stolen.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 09:23

• Lisa86

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2012

awesome thank you!
    I wont be traveling with anything expensive. I dont want to have a phone or laptop etc etc i wont to stay well away from all that!! most expensive thing i will have in my pac is my first aid kit

#4 Posted: 18/5/2012 - 15:20

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I run a guesthouse in Chiang Mai (and trekked around here in the good ol days) and yes you can safely store your big bag at the guesthouse while you go trekking. I have never heard of theft occurring in this situation and usually your bag is going to be stored in a secure place that only the staff have access. But it goes without saying don't store anything of high value. Either keep it with you during the trek or ensure that the guesthouse stores it securely (not in the general bag area/closet). All this assumes you booked the trek through the guesthouse itself. At least with the cheaper places if you book the trek elsewhere they might not store the bag for you.

#5 Posted: 21/5/2012 - 08:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.