Southeast Asia forum

I'm back & planning my second trip!!

• potta_boro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Almost a year on and im having withdrawals so im planning another trip for around about early september, only this time ill be travelling solo!!

My trip this time will be for roughly 2.5 months, and last time although i wanted to go to Cambodia and Vietnam i couldnt because of funding/time issues so my tip this year will be THAILAND, CAMBODIA & VIETNAM and i need advice on a few things:

I think im ok on budgets, having spent 3.5 months in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Philippines so i have a rough idea on how much things are etc in SEA, The thing i need help on is my itinerary, im not too sure on which order i do the 3 countries, i have a fairly good idea of what cities i fancy seeing but for some reason i dont fancy Laos, no idea why! so i was thinking....
    Option 1.
    Thailand (Bangkok)..Then where?
    >
    Either a flight to Hanoi and work my way down Vietnam overland only then through Cambodia overland again back to Bangkok for a flight home.

Option 2.
    Fly Straight into Hanoi and do Vietnam then Cambodia working my way into Thailand?

Option 2 sounds most realistic but there is something nagging away telling me to start in Bangkok!

Sorry for the essay :)
    Any help Appreciated.

#1 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 13:21

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Maybe the nagging feeling about BKK because flights tend to be cheaper to BKK if you are coming from Europe or North America. Also, by arriving and departing in the same airport the roundtrip airfare will always be better than a 1 way to Hanoi and a return out of BKK - at least it is that way when I search for flights.

If you feel like flying into BKK for a couple nights before catching a flight to Hanoi I don't think there is a problem with that, I always say it is nice to return somewhere, so why not start out in BKK and end up there in the end. Remember that you'll need to arrange for the visa to Vietnam before arrival.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 17:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also don't forget that when you arrive overland back in Thailand you will only get 15 days visa exemption. If you arrive via air, you will get 30 days. So plan accordingly.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 18:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.