Southeast Asia forum

What do I do?

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to Hanoi where I might buy a motorbike and hang around Hanoi and Halong Bay for a week, I need to then get to either to Vientiane or Phnom Penh both of which I've allowed a week before heading across into Thailand.

Question is the best way to do it?

Am I best to avoid a buying a bike and go by public transport and hire bikes when I reach these destinations or can I transport my bike on the train?

What's the best route to travel given my time constraints, Vientiane then Phnom Penh or the other way around, what train or bus or flight options would you suggest.

After Cambodia or Loas I then need to get to Chiang Mai, so flight will be needed, again where am I he's to fly out of?

#1 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 18:00

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The bike will be "illegal" as in not registered in your name, so bringing it across the borders will likewise be illegal, but people do it anyway by crossing at a quiet checkpoint and probably paying some pocket money. You might get spot-checked as well while riding through Laos (Cambodia seems less threatening in this regard) and have to pay more bribes. Whether or not it's worth the hassle is a matter of opinion. As for transport by train there aren't any in Laos and Cambodia. You can transport a motorbike by train in Thailand but it must be registered legally in your name.

As for getting to Chiang Mai you don't necessarily need to fly although it saves time. Anyway Luang Prabang to CM 1 flight daily on Lao Airlines 1 hour about $160. Or Phnom Penh - Bangkok - CM on Air Asia. Alternatively overland from LP to CM takes about 2-3 days (up the Mekong by boat, bus to CM) or Siem Reap - Bangkok take about 7-8 hours (shared taxi - tuktuk - bus) then plenty of buses and train options to CM.

#2 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 09:19

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Personally I wouldn't buy a bike unless you were staying in VN for an extended amount of time.

#3 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 13:38

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Thanks for the info, very informative, the boat ride up the Mekong to CM sounds like a great option, is it worth doing?

#4 Posted: 28/5/2012 - 22:29

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

^^In particular I'd say it's worth doing in the upstream direction (LP to Huay Xai) as opposed to the more popular/packed downstream mode. In Luang Prabang go to the boat ramp in town the morning you want to go around 8am and buy the ticket (should be about 200,000 kip or $25). Upriver for 6 hours (bring extra food/drink/book/pillow) to Pakbeng, find a cheap room, then day-2 to Huay Xai, cross the border before 6pm if possible then buses to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai. A nice journey if not in a big hurry.

#5 Posted: 29/5/2012 - 01:06

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Excellent, thanks for the great advice Captain Bob, you are the man...

#6 Posted: 29/5/2012 - 01:59

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi all, Captain Bob just thinking if I cross into Thailand by land based on your suggestion in this forum I only get a 15 dy visa, fly in and get 30 days which I need given I intend staying there for 4 weeks however the boat ride up the Mekong really appeals to me, any suggestions?

#7 Posted: 2/6/2012 - 01:24

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Hi Tony, if you're passing through Vientiane on your travels you could get a tourist visa at the Thai consulate there. This gets you a 60-day entry (by land or air) and is the only way to get more than 15 days by land entry. Getting the visa takes two days; apply 830am pickup next day 1pm (Monday-Friday only) cost is 1000 baht for single entry. You get a 90-day window to use the visa so no need to hurry.

The alternative is arrive without the visa, get 15 days visa-exempt, then do another border hop at the end of that to get 15 more. Hope this helps.

#8 Posted: 2/6/2012 - 12:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.