Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary from Southern Thailand onwards

• georgiaj

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I know this is a slightly unusual route, but I can't change it now. I'm starting off with a group from Bangkok at the end of July and heading down to Ko Phangan for the August 4th Full Moon Party. I'd probably want to see a few other islands in the Thai Gulf (it's going to be August so I guess visiting the other coast would be silly with the weather) Maybe Ko Samui and Ko Tao.
    I want to visit Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and Vang Vieng and Vientiane/perhaps Luang Prabang in Laos.
    I'd also like to see Chiang Mai.

I fly back home from Bangkok on September 17th.
    Has anyone got any ideas which way to head after doing the Gulf Coast? I don't want to cross through Bangkok 3 times, so if that could be avoided it'd be great.
    Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 04:38

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

I know there are infrequent direct flights from Ko Samui to Chiang Mai (Bangkok Airlines runs a few a week. I don't know about other airlines). Then you could presumably work your way from Chiang Mai into Laos, down through Cambodia, and finally back to Bangkok for your flight home.

Have a great time!

#2 Posted: 8/6/2012 - 07:59

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

It's going to be difficult to avoid Bangkok again, coming up from the south to Chiang Mai or Laos or Cambodia. There are nonstop flights FROM Chiang Mai TO Samui but not the other way round. You could fly Surat Thani - Bangkok - Chiang Mai (or Phnom Penh) on Air Asia cheap if you buy in advance and then you just have a short wait at BKK airport in between. Otherwise there are plenty of train/bus options from Surat Thani or Chumphon north, then transfer in Bangkok to continue north or east.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2012 - 10:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help with Southern Thailand Itinerary ... By luchy1309 on 23 Jul 2009 5 2867 27 Jul 2009
Southern Thailand Itinerary Help ... By jennakuz on 4 Jan 2012 5 1285 7 Jan 2012
Possible two week itinerary for Southern Thailand, too much for so little time? ... By lys36 on 21 Aug 2013 4 1812 25 Aug 2013