Southeast Asia forum

retirement in SE asia

• XxSMIL3xX

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

hello my friends,
    i am ready with my wife to move in SE asia and we would like to learn some things.
    we are from greece,we are 30 years old and we will have an income in sterlines.
    we havent ever visited these places but we have travel a lot around europe.
    we believe that we will be ready to begin in automn.
    we will begin from thai for 2+1 months then laos,cambodia,vietnam and maybe philippines and then we will decide what we prefer.

1)which country do you think that it is friendlier for expats(easier to have a visa,better hospitals,cheapest,friendly to open a little hotel)

2)what should we do for insurance?should we have 1 from greece or should we have one there.also do you know if we can have one in england?

3)for retirement does any1 knows if we can have an occupational benefit plan in england as we already pay taxes there.

4)which are the best bank rates in these countries and if we can have benefit from these and of cource how safe it is.

thank you for your time
    stathis & angie

#1 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 10:32

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I can't help you on the financial questions. Sorry. Maybe someone else here can.

I have been retired in Thailand for five years and problem number one you have to work around is visa because of your age. In Thailand at least, you need to be 50 years old for a retirement visa. So unless you want to continue working here, you need to find a work around on that one. That will be a bit tricky.

I do not belive Laos offers a retirement visa at all. So again, you'll need a work around if you want to retire there.

#2 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 13:03

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

There is nor program for a person at age 30 but you can discuss this with the Philippine Retirement Authority and see what they can do for you.

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

There is also the Special Investor Resident visa.
    http://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/special-investors-resident-visa-sirv

About healthcare, the bigger cities will have access to the best healthcare. In remote areas, you will be lucky to find a clinic. Of the countries mentioned, I would be more confident of the medical care in Thailand and the Philippines.

Culturally, the Philippines has a strong Latin/US influence so it is a mix of Asian/European/US. So you might find that easier to adapt to that. Somebody said that our history is 400 years of the convent (Spain) and 50 years of Hollywood.

As for the best bank rates, I wouldn't count on keeping money in the bank as the inflation rate is larger than the savings rate and your purchasing power will just erode.

You will probably find similar investor programs in the other countries.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 23:22

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Thailand is only a place to "retire" if you have a Thai spouse or are over 50 years old. Otherwise you will be continuously running around getting additional visas and extensions and that game could be cut short anytime a Thai consular official denies you another visa. Oh and unless you are an English teacher or highly skilled in a area of technical expertise you can forget about working legally in Thailand.

I think Cambodia is the easiest place in the region to get a long-term visa (Business visa then extensions) to stay and work legally.

You're very young to "retire" at 30, and if you don't have some kind of daily activity and/or occupation it's easy to get lazy and fat in this hot climate. Just consider it an extended travel visit and see what you like.

#4 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 01:10

• XxSMIL3xX

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

thank you all.

the plan is to visit each country as long as the state is going to allow as(till 6 month for the beggining) and then to choose.

cambodia and shihanoukville is an option as i have read that it gives 1 year visa which we can easily renew it.but i think its the last option.but still is an option.

i have read that there ase some chickies ways to stay long term in these countries.
    can some1 help me in this.its important for me to know that i ll find a solution one way or another cause i really dont like anymore the western style of living.i cant stand any more in europe and especially greece...

#5 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 04:09

• XxSMIL3xX

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

just to inform i ve read that from shihanoukville i can take a 6 month visa for vietnam and if my passport has a lot of stamps i can even take an one year visa.

#6 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 07:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.