Southeast Asia forum

5 Weeks Itinerary for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia - Help?!

• bootshike

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi Everyone,
    I am planning a trip for 5 weeks for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia at the end of December and for the month of January 2013. After doing some research, I have a general plan, but I'm sure it needs tweaking. I am interested in seeing a few temples and some pretty scenery. I don't think I have time for trekking, and I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Should I cut out the slow boat? That would save me three days. Where would you add these days to? Thanks to anyone who replies, I appreciate it A LOT!
    27 Arrive late PM -Chiang Mai
    28 -Chiang Mai
    29 -Chiang Mai
    30 Travel Day -bus to Chiang Rai, bus to Chian Khong stay in Chian Khong or Huay Xai
    31 Slow boat -Pakbeng
    1 Slow boat - Luang Prabang (arrive by late afternoon)
    2 -Luang Prabang
    3 Bus (7 hrs) -Vang Vieng
    4 -Vang Vieng
    5 Bus (3-4 hrs) -Vientiane
    6 Flight -Hanoi
    7 -Hanoi
    8 Halong Tour -Overnight in Halong Bay
    9 Return Hanoi/Overnight Train to Hue
    10 -Hue
    11 Bus (4 hrs) -Hoi An
    12 -Hoi An
    13 -Hoi An
    14 Flight - Ho Chi Minh City
    15 -Ho Chi Minh City
    16 Bus (5 hrs) -Phnom Penh
    17 -Phnom Penh
    18 Bus (5 hrs) -Siem Reap
    19 -Siem Reap
    20 Flight/flight -Ko Sumai and take ferry or stay in Sumai, depending on when we arrive
    21 -Ko Tao
    22 -Ko Tao
    23 -Ko Tao
    24 -Ko Tao
    25 -Ko Tao
    26 -Ko Tao
    27 Ferry/flight -Bangkok
    28 -Bangkok
    29 -Bangkok
    30 -Bangkok
    31 Flight home

#1 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 22:31

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"30 Travel Day -bus to Chiang Rai, bus to Chian Khong"

Minor detail but there's a direct bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong. Go to Arcade bus station and the "Green Bus" counter. It departs 830am arrives about 3pm. Otherwise you have to hassle with changing bus stations in Chiang Rai.

I think you're rushing too much in a few places, like only one day each in Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, and Siem Reap. I wouldn't necessarily skip the slow boat, but maybe a couple less days on Ko Tao and Bangkok. Also maybe skip Hue in favor of Hoi An. Flight Hanoi-Danang will free up an extra day too.

#2 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 08:47

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

I'm assuming the intent is to see as much as possible in a short space of time and go back and spend more time to the ones you really like in future years. I'm the last person to advise against this: I visited half the destinations on your list plus Bali in May 2009 and despite people thinking I was mad at the time I thoroughly enjoyed it. That said, if you're anything like me you'll end up going back to virtually all of them for a longer period of time anyway...
    It also means that your schedule is even more rushed than mine, and I flew more.

Agree with the above recommendation that at least one more day in Luang Prabang, Hanoi and especially Siem Reap is necessary to do them justice. Once you've seen the major temples once you probably won't go back to Siem Reap in future, and it takes at least 2 [near]full days min to see properly (but no more than 3 full days unless you're a temple buff). One day isn't enough to even form an opinion on Hanoi and LPB is much more beautiful than Chiang Mai if you're not planning trekking or much partying.

Agree that Ko Tao and Bangkok are the obvious candidates to trim a day or two off - you're bound to go back to Bangkok; and once you've done your diving Ko Tao is a fairly quiet place. I think Hue is fantastic and underrated, but you have to cut somewhere.
    On the other hand 1 day is probably enough to decide whether you love or hate Vang Vieng; you can always go back if you want to tube some more. I haven't been to Phnom Penh yet; flying to Siem Reap from HCM is a possibility if guidebook descriptions don't excite you either.

The above comment on Chang Rai reminds me of something else: check public holidays in the relevant countries closely because they do affect bus (and possibly boat) availability: I couldn't get from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong / Huay Xai the day after one Thai long weekend and had to pay an overstay fine. With your tight schedule you'll need to pre-book as much as possible and have backup plans for what to miss if you can't [pre]book a bus for whatever reason. Dec/Jan is peak tourist season too.

#3 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 11:15

• AprilJef

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2012

Hey we're looking at almost the same itinary the same time too!
    My boyfriend and I (Canadians, 33&42yrs) are planning our first trip to southeast Asia and we are thinking of starting it Bangkok on the 22nd and then heading up to Chaing Rai about the 28th and following the same path until at least Vientaine, which is where we're waffling on what to do from there. We're traveling a bit slower (on the advice of this amazing website!) and think we'll not be inVientaine until perhaps as late as the 12th of Jan (although we may find ourselves too old for 3 days in Vieng Vang and how many days we stay in Vientaine is up in the air as well).

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but if we have until the 25th when we would have to fly home and I'm wondering what others suggest, should we carry on to Cambodia for Angkor and back into Thailand for beaches, or should we head over to Vietnam in some capacity? We've speed travelled Europe and we know how exhausting being a tourist can be, so we don't want to take on too much. Then again we're more "flash packers" and are not adverse to flights as long as we're not flying every third day! Trains can sometime be a relaxing way to see the countryside, so we're okay with longer rides too.

Appreciate the advice and boots we'll have to share notes!

#4 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 18:29

• daithikelly5

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2013

Hi bootshike,
    I know your probably on your trip at the moment but id love to hear how it went - and the do's and dont's of it all, when you get home. I'm planning a very similar trip for July 2013 (5 weeks also and the same 4 countries) and id love to hear how you got on. Hope your enjoying it so far. Thanks. Talk soon!

#5 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 15:58

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I always think it would be interesting to hear back from people that plan these 'rushed' kind of trips. Was it what they expected? What would they do differently?

So many people try to cover as much ground as they can in such a short period (and I've been guilty of it!) - but we don't often hear any followup as to how it actually went.

#6 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 18:35

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I don't get the idea at all. Never did. Never will. The only time I rush around is when I ride, and that's because the point of the trip is the ride. But on a bus or plane or train? Those are modes of transportation that are torture instruments...

#7 Posted: 28/1/2013 - 20:42

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

I'm going Siem Reap to HCMC (via Cambodia and the Mekong Delta) in 3 weeks and already feel i'm trying to pack in too much.

That said, this summer I'm thinking of taking my mom and uncle from Luang Prabang-VV-Vientiane-Sukhothai-BKK in 2 weeks . . . and afraid it is too much.

#8 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 00:13

• bootshike

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi everyone,

I just finished my trip in Southeast Asia. I ended up doing a different itinerary than the one posted above, but I still sort of packed it in.
    I got into Hanoi, Vietnam in the evening of December 28. I spent about 14 days in Vietnam, about 5 days in Cambodia, and the rest in Thailand. I didn't go to Laos. I flew out of Bangkok on February 1. I am not at home, I am in Africa now and I don't have a computer, so I don't have time to type out the whole itinerary. You can look on my blog though, it has a general outline of dates, and I'm pretty sure I talked about how I got to each place. Here is the link:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/burles/2/tpod.html

I was content with everything I saw, but I think Cambodia is a gem and I could spend way more time there. Thailand is not as great as I remember it, tourism has sort of wrecked it. The atmosphere in Cambodia and Vietnam was more to my liking. I took advantage of cheap flights in Vietnam and Thailand, but the flight from Siam Reap to Chian Mai was like $320 US. It saves you time, but its not an easy one on a backpacker's budget. I still cringe when I think about the money I spent on that one. Besides feeling like I didn't see Cambodia (because let's face it, I really didn't) I was generally happy with the itinerary.

I would suggest that anyone doing an itinerary like this would want to do all of the sightseeing first, and all of the relaxing beach stuff at the end. Or break it up in the middle. Just make sure you have some places where you are spending more than one or two nights. No matter how energetic you are, you will need a break once in awhile.

One last thing, if you really want to see the Mekong Delta, go for two days and include a home stay. Don't be tempted by the tours that take you to the Mekong Delta, and then take you by boat to Cambodia the following day. I know it makes sense in theory because you are saving time by not going back to Saigon, but you don't actually get to see anything. If you only have one day, then go for the day and take the bus from Saigon to Cambodia the next day.

#9 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 04:03

• franks2k

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2011

I also traveled 5 weeks in January and did almost the exact same itinerary as you did however i went to Laos and it was the highlight of my trip.

PS: You can take a minivan from CM to Chiang Khong around 6:30pm and gets you to CK in 5hours. No need to take a bus. took the speedboat instead of the slowboat.

#10 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 10:05

• Advertisement

• davelloydy

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2013

Hi all,

Planning a trip in April for 5 Weeks. Want to visit Bangkok, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Chang Mai & Phuket . Having touble deciding on the in between places. Any suggestions?? And also are we trying to squeeze too much in what time we have? Only planning on spending a couple of days in Bangkok at the beginning and the last week in Phuket and Surrounding Islands but the rest is a still a bit unorganised.
    IDEAS PLEASE

#11 Posted: 15/2/2013 - 02:51

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

if you wish to tube some more. I haven't been to Phnom Penh yet; aerial to Siem Reap from HCM is a achievability if guidebook descriptions don't accelerate you either.

#12 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 12:04

• SaltwaterGem

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Dave... recently came back from a 5 week trip... here's my thread about it, with transportation links and various information. It's along similar lines, so many you can find something useful in there

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/21128_5-weeks-in-sea-trip-report

#13 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 15:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4414 1 Jun 2010
3-4 weeks Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos itinerary ... By judenbot on 16 Apr 2007 1 6326 16 Apr 2007
Last 5 weeks of freedom! please help with my itinerary - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, ... By Becca on 13 Jul 2010 4 2724 14 Jul 2010
4 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia - Itinerary advice ... By ibon on 19 May 2009 3 6836 21 May 2009
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos - 4 weeks - itinerary advise ... By Coboooo on 22 Feb 2013 2 1385 1 Mar 2013
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 1385 1 Sep 2013
4 Weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - Critique my Itinerary! ... By guyincognito on 25 Feb 2013 4 2126 28 Feb 2013
Itinerary Help - 5-6 Weeks in June (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) ... By plew10 on 22 Mar 2010 4 4686 19 Apr 2013
Itinerary suggestions- 10 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By Iwanttogetaway on 17 Apr 2011 11 5219 20 Apr 2011
5 weeks itinerary: Thailand (?) - Lao - Vietnam - Cambodia ... By stephjac on 18 Apr 2010 2 3720 19 Apr 2010