Southeast Asia forum

4 months- Hanoi to Kuala Lumpur overland

• liddyb

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

Hello,

My partner and I are planning an overland tripstarting this October in Hanoi .The route we hope to take is Hanoi to HCMC (about 5 weeks), cross into Cambodia and travelaround the whole country for about 3 weeks, cross over the Laos border and travelnorth through Laos for about 3 weeks, then cross over into Northern Thailand and headsouth through the country with hopefully enough time to get right down to Singapore beforereturning home from Kuala Lumpur.

We plan to backpack, staying mostly in hostels andguest houses (maybe splurging towards the end of the trip if the budgetpermits)

What advice I am looking for is:
    Must see places/activities
    Places to Avoid
    Advice on border crossings and visas (i'm particularlyworried about the Cambodia/Laos crossing, and also the news that Enteringoverland into Thailand now only allows a 15 day visa?)
    Is this route a good way to see the region? Mostpeople seem to do Laos North to South but I want to avid backtracking.
    Money and currency exchanging.
    Budget recommendations/ how much do we need?
    Really any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

#1 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 23:17

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Advice on border crossings and visas (i'm particularlyworried about the Cambodia/Laos crossing, and also the news that Enteringoverland into Thailand now only allows a 15 day visa?)"

No need to worry about the Cambodia/Laos crossing. Get a bus or van to the border, 30-day visa on arrival costs $USD30-42 depending on your nationality, then keep going to the 4000 Islands or Pakse. Entering Thailand without a visa by land you only get 15 days (visa exemption) so get a tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane, then you will get a 60-day entry extendable 30 more days at Thai immigration.

#2 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 01:28

• liddyb

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2012

Thank you so much for your advice! Didn't realise you can get the visa in Vientiane. Is it an easy process and how many days will that take?
    Thanks again :)

#3 Posted: 27/6/2012 - 03:14

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I can't help on the visa in Vientiane query but I'm sure someone else can. The Vietnam to Cambodia visa is easy too - whether traveling by boat or bus the driver / guide sorts it all out for you and you just need to go and collect your passport and smile. I'm not sure exactly how much it is now though - $20 or $25 I think.

The route you're taking is exactly the route we planned to take. However, we changed our plan when we got to Cambodia as we hit rainy season and were in need of sunshine, so we headed straight to the South of Thailand instead. Didn't get much sunshine there either though! Anyway, your route makes sense.

Lots of threads on here about budget - $30 a day would probably do you though.

#4 Posted: 28/6/2012 - 04:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Overland from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur ... By marianaspagnuolo on 3 Jan 2010 11 5506 31 May 2010
Kuala Besut to Kuala Lumpur by bus??? ... By KatMachine on 16 Jan 2012 2 4933 17 Jan 2012
1 day in Kuala Lumpur ... By Manumask on 12 Sep 2009 8 7155 22 Nov 2009
Kuala Lumpur on 12 may ... By cscsky on 3 Apr 2014 0 687 3 Apr 2014
Kuala Lumpur's Little India ... By mashreki on 10 Mar 2012 9 3007 19 Mar 2012
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur ... By nish on 24 Nov 2011 25 5873 23 Feb 2014
Kuala Lumpur - Hat Yai - Koh Phangan ... By haikalpribadi on 23 Aug 2012 1 3265 24 Aug 2012
Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lipe ... By globoglobo on 3 Dec 2013 0 1123 3 Dec 2013
Kuala lumpur to Thailand- HOW MUCH???? ... By Ingrids on 30 Oct 2009 4 8788 31 Oct 2009
Kuala Lumpur - Krabi ... By mohdiqbal on 25 Oct 2011 2 2994 31 Oct 2011