Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks holiday with 9 months-old baby

• martinamaya

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

Hi All,
    We're planning a 3 weeks holiday in August with our 9 months-old baby
    We would like to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia and fly back to Shanghai from Singapore.
    It's maybe too much! That's why we would appreciate some suggestions about what's really worth it to visit in each country.
    We are living in China and been travelling around here, we like visiting ancient and cultural places, markets and also have time to relax on the beach, possibly in Thailand (not too touristic /crowed places)?
    We also have to arrive to Malaysia by air (for Visa problems) to Kuala Lumpur.
    In general we just want to make sure we visit baby-friendly places and not too adventurous!! (this time, but maybe in a few years..)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!
    Cheers

M&C&M

#1 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 05:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Even without a nine month old 4-5 countries in three weeks is insane.You've got time for one, maybe two (Thailand / Malaysia). Bangkok and it's surrounds, a beach, and then Malaysia.

Ayudahy and maybe Sukhothai will probably interest you. Mauybe the floating market in Bangkok and places like the Jim Thompson house (Bangkok is loaded with sites).

Keep in mind infant children do not have developed immune systems and the tropics are loaded with all kinds of bacteria and viruses, so you'll want to be very hygenic, avoid quesiontable eateries, and not stry too far from decent medical facilities.

#2 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 06:34

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia and fly back to Shanghai from Singapore"

In 3 weeks?
    That is insanely unrealistic. You need at least a couple weeks in each country just to scratch the surface. With only 3 weeks you'd have to be sprinting through every place with no chance of relaxing and if I was your kid I'd be screaming like Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds the entire trip. Reduce it to just one country for that duration, and wait a few years until your child is old enough to actually experience and appreciate it.

#3 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 00:32

• martinamaya

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

Thanks for your answers!
    We thought about your suggestions and we reduced the trip at a minimum of places we would like to see.. We have to do (unfortunately) the kind of holiday "touch&go", try to see as much as we can now, as in the future from South America will be really expensive to go back to South Asia (we're moving out of China). We'd rather prefer to have a rough idea of the places now and maybe in the future decide to go back there and go deeper in knowing the places and the culture..

Here is a rough plan:
    4 days in Hanoi (Ha Long Bay, Hoan Kiem Lake)
    2 days Siem Reap (Angkor Wat)
    4 days Bangkok (Temples, Ayutthaya, floating market)
    7 days travelling from Krabi to Puket (different beaches)
    + other 4 days between the different places just to travel

Do you have any tips or suggestions about travelling with the baby in these areas?
    We've been reading around and it seems like these are not places where you could get malaria or yellow fever, but we're still a bit worried about the baby..

Thanks for all your effort!

#4 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 00:45

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

As far as I know, most if not all of SE Asia is a malaria risk zone. Those odds increase dramatically if you leave the urban zones but when I travelled through the region a few years ago I took malaria pills for the entire duration (i.e. for urabn and rural parts). I'm not sure what exactly a baby can take for such a risk.

I would have to agree with the other poster's comments regarding your proposed style of travel. Regardless even if you are leaving for South America and may not see the region again for a long time, it is not a good enough reason to zoom around the place like you are planning. Seriously one country should be all you take in in 3 weeks, max two. Otherwise, best case you will be stressed and won't enjoy it whatsoever, worst case you will do yourself and your baby some damage!!

#5 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 04:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Keep in that you and your baby are possibly more at risk of dengue fever - not that I want to frighten you! The point is that you need to protect against mosquitoes anyhow to avoid dengue fever since there is not preventative drugs. Not sure what insect repellant babies can use - so maybe check your options out for that. Either way, you are at lower risk by sticking to the more urban, developed areas.

I also agree with chinarocks - don't try to cover too much ground. It's hard enough as an adult on your own - I'd hate to think what it's like with a baby in tow! Cut back to 1-2 countries max - and take the time to enjoy the places that you plan to visit, and allow for a bit of R&R time.

#6 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 04:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Martina
    About once or twice a month someone will write a variation of what you wrote - we know we shouldn't race around, but we don't know when / if we will get back and want to get the most out of the trip. What these people don't understand is this is not an environment about seeing things. Europe is good for that. This is about the pace of life. And that pace is chilled. When you race around trying to get as many happy snaps as possible, you are losing out on what makes SEA a nice place to be. Suddenly it just becomes a hectic rat race. This is a place about chillin', not about seeing things.

#7 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 06:07

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"About once or twice a month someone will write a variation of what you wrote"

I would say more like once or twice a week.

You are correct though MM, it's a great place to chill, something I will do more of whenever I ever get back there.

#8 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 07:45

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

If you ever make it out this way, look me up. Mukdahan is a chilled, albeit not sleepy, place.

#9 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 06:19

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

A quick google search tells me that the best Issan food market is in Mukdahan...is this correct MAC?

#10 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 04:31

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

As in night market? Well, Khon Kaen has several, and they are larger. Muk is better than Yaso IMO. Better than NKP or Roi Et or Amnat. But Khon Kaen is probably better. Don't know about Udon or Ubon, as I haven't seen their night markets. Muk has some good Thai restaraunts and a pretty good fusion one as well (though it's a touch pricey). The food isn't what makes the place though. For me at least the city is the right blend of country and city living. Laid back, but not dead.

#11 Posted: 6/7/2012 - 22:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Holiday inn shuttle boat with a baby? ... By marjut on 11 Nov 2010 0 1040 11 Nov 2010
Laos: 2 weeks with toddler and baby ... By FionaMelbourne on 28 Jun 2009 17 3874 15 Jul 2009