Southeast Asia forum

Advice for 3 months backpacking around SE Asia

• Manckiwi

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2012

My partner and I are currently living and working in Auckland, NZ but we're planning to move to the UK next July (where I'm originally from). So, as we'll both have to quit our jobs, we figured this would be the perfect opportunity to fit some travel in before settling down to work etc.

We've managed to work out a budget of around $20k (NZD) and are planning on spending around 3 months from leaving NZ in April to arriving in the UK in July.

Our current plan is:
    [li]10 days in Bali[/li][li]3 days in Kuala Lumpur[/li][li]14 days in The Philippines (maybe Palawan & Bohol)[/li][li]2 or 3 days in Bangkok[/li][li]21 days traveling round Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam[/li][li]14 days in Ko Samui[/li][li]7 days New York before heading back to the UK (I know this part's a bit random, but we managed to find some a really cheap flights and thought it'd be an awesome way to end the trip)[/li][/ulist]
    This is just our first rough thoughts, and it doesn't yet add up to the full 3 months, but we're not exactly sure at the moment where would be the best places to invest a bit more time. We're hoping for plenty of relaxing on beaches, a bit of adventure (trekking etc.), cultural visits, (temples etc.) and a little bit of partying.

We'd love to hear any thoughts on whether our plan sounds do-able on that budget, if it sounds like we're trying to squeeze in too much or if there's anything that we really ought to see / do in the region that we might have missed.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• Skuri

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2012

Hi. Your 3 months of travel sounds lovely. Naturally this is simply my opinion, but upon first glance I'd say:

Too long in Bali
    Way, way, way too short to do 3 countries in 21 days. Each of those countries would beefit from 21 days each!! I live in Laos and am very biased..but...just came back from 8 days in the south (Pakse/Bolaven/Champasak/Siphan Don) and could have stayed much longer. Luang Prabang deserves a good 5 days, and the north is well worth exploring. I loathe what's been done to Vang Vieng, but that's another story. It is a stunning area and great for trekking and/or rock climbing.

I dislike Vietnam, but am in a minority, and still think 2 - 3 weeks there would barely touch the surface. I do very much like Cambodia but again, needs way more time than you've allocated. You could spend a week alone in Siem Reap.

14 days in Samui would be better spent amongst the three islands (Samui, Tao, Phangan). I assume this is so long for some relaxation/beach time. I suggest looking at other places for that as well/instead, especially instead of doubling back there.

Anyhow, enjoy your time.

#2 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 00:32

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

14 days in the Philippines.....I guess it depends how much you end up liking the country. but you can easily add a few days to see a more destinations. Sagada is one of my favorite places. Than there are the less well-known places like Siquijor.

In April, Batanes is a possibility but the plane fare is expensive. (Food is horrendous too!)

#3 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 07:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
6 months backpacking solo in SE Asia ... By WonderingAbout on 26 Jul 2013 6 4873 29 Jul 2013
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 2355 1 Jun 2013
Backpacking SE Asia in January for 6 months - Travel buds wanted! ... By AaronCole on 23 Oct 2013 5 1462 28 Oct 2013
SE Asia - 3~4 months ~ Advice ... By berraseski on 26 Sep 2013 2 961 27 Sep 2013
HELP! Need advice on discovering SE Asia in 4/5 Months. :) ... By snookipaige on 4 Jun 2013 10 1809 5 Aug 2013
3 Months South East Asia. ADVICE PLEASE :) ... By STEEBEE84 on 1 Aug 2014 12 651 13 Aug 2014
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 1094 16 May 2014
Backpacking travel north towards china from thailand through the next 10 months..? ... By brianmagoirc on 14 Sep 2012 1 672 28 Sep 2012