Southeast Asia forum

10 week grand tour - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia...

• HomerJSimps-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2007

Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Without giving too much detail;

16 days in Thailand - Bangkok to Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Huay Xai, including 5 day Thai cooking class in Chiang Mai and 2 day elephant trekking in Chiang Rai

14 days in Laos - Huay Xai to Pak Beng to Luang Prabeng to Phonsavan to Vang Vieng to Vientiane to Tha Khaek to Savannakhet to Sepon

30 days in Vietnam - Hue to Hanoi to Dien Bien Phu to Lai Chau to Sapa to Hanoi to Ha Long to Ninh Binh to Hue to Da Nang to Hoi Ann to Nha Trang to Saigon to Dalat to Mekong Delta to Saigon

10 days in Cambodia to Phnom Penh to the "Killing Fields" to Siem Riep to Angkor Wat

4 final days in Thailand making my way back to Bangkok.

Two questions:

Does this seem feasable?
    Have I missed anything?

Steve.

#1 Posted: 18/4/2007 - 19:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Steve,

Five day cooking class -- that's the longest I've ever heard of -- if you've got more information on the course, I'd be interested to hear about it.

That looks good. One minor comment regarding the Vietnam segment, you're better served to go Nha Trang - Da Lat - Saigon - Delta rather than Nha Trang - Saigon - Da Lat - Delta. Going that way cuts down on you needing to backtrack along the saigon to Da Lat segment.

I think the time you've allotted looks ok -- if anything the Vietnam segment may be a tad tight, but many try to see and do a lot more in a shorter stretch of time than what you're attempting.

In Cambodia, the Killing fields is just a hafl day trip from Phnom Penh. If you're looking for an extra place to fit in, consider perhaps Battambang.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 19/4/2007 - 08:02

• HomerJSimps-
    on

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2007

Hi Somtag,

yes you are right about the southern Vietnam bit. I'll make the appropriate changes.

The thai cooking course is run through the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School (not surprising, and here is their website:

http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/

I will also look into Battambang as an alternative.

Thanks for your help.

Steve.

#3 Posted: 20/4/2007 - 14:36

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Steve,

I spent 10 days last year in Cambodia: Phnom Penh (4 nights)- Kampot+Bokor (1 night) - Battambang (1 night) - Siem Reap (3 nights). It's a bit rush, but the Kampot+Bokor part was nice - in fact, I enjoyed every stop. Would have been nicer if I could add a few more days.

For Thailand, if you are in Chiang Rai, I'd suggest you add Mae Salong - one of the most charming and different places in Thailand.

Lastly, enjoy your trip, and don't forget to blog your trip. Please email me when it is available (kclee1 at gmail.com) :-)

#4 Posted: 28/4/2007 - 20:16

• jella82

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2007

Hi guys, I'm heading to SE Asia from mid Sept to mid Dec. Want to get in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia & maybe Burma depending on political situation (we are flying into and out of Singapore). Any suggestions? I'm a bit bamboozled by the amount to see and do! I've have had a read of some of the explorer trips and Lonely Planet but I'm more confused than ever! Any suggestions would be great?

#5 Posted: 20/6/2007 - 11:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help on my five week itinerary through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia ... By nateyu on 19 Nov 2007 9 5904 20 Dec 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4066 26 Feb 2010
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 3 2806 23 Feb 2010
8 week trip to Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam in June-August...your thoughts and help please? ... By mrnice88 on 25 Apr 2010 5 4625 5 Jul 2010
Cycling partner for supported bike tour in Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia: June/July 2014 ... By hmrolstomt on 23 May 2014 8 875 28 May 2014
One week, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam? ... By RonnyK on 26 Aug 2009 8 7690 23 Jun 2010
6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia ... By langleym1 on 12 Jan 2013 4 2481 17 Jan 2013
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3851 24 Oct 2009
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 6099 2 Nov 2012
how much would a 3-4 week trip to vietnam, cambodia, laos cost? ... By anjooo on 22 Jun 2010 3 6095 24 Jun 2010