Southeast Asia forum

laos route

• wolfiehogan

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

hi guys, am just doing my trip of the region and am really enjoying it, have made my way through thailand and am now in luang prabang heading to vang vienne. my question is though i am planning on doing some biking in laos and just looking for a bit of help with it.
    i was thinking of renting from pakse and traveling to 4000 islands. is this possible or a good route to take. can i do one way biking or does any body know a good place where i can rent a bike cos have heard some bad stories about people being scammed when leaving the bikes back. i do not want to do a loop as i have not the time

#1 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 01:33

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Road isn't very exciting or pretty between Pakse and 4000 Islands - just riding a bike for the sake of it. Could stop off for a night in Champasak to see Wat Phu. Maybe you don't have much time, but would recommend a 3/4 night loop to Tad Lo and Paksong. I know . . you said no, but I have to try.

Everyone I was around rented through Lankham Hotel, Pakse - and they require you to leave a passport - no one-way rental as far as I could tell.

#2 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 08:58

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There's almost no point in bringing a motorbike to Don Det or Don Khone as there isn't much road to speak of and it's pretty flat and easy with a bicycle. Don Kong on the other hand is big and has enough roads that it can be worthwhile. However you'll definitely need to return the bike where you rented it. Giving up your passport as a security is not advised.

#3 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 01:34

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Left mine at Lankham and had no problem (kept a spare photocopy with me and was never asked for it . . . no road accident though). Seemed the standard thing to do - though I think some took an option of leaving a large deposit for the bike. Lankham Hotel has been renting bikes for awhile now and I've heard no complaints from the way they treat customers (and even with a few dings in our bikes they didn't ask for any extra cash).

#4 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 04:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.