Southeast Asia forum

July-October itinerary help

• docho

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

Hi,

Me & my girlfriend are flying to Bangkok on July 19th, and back on October 19th.
    We would like to travel in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and finish the trip in 2 weeks in the islands of Thailand. (actually we also wanted to visit Nepal but unsure if we have enough time for it).

We understand that this is exactly the wet and hot season which is not very recommended but we do not have any other time to make this trip and hope it'll not be so bad.
    Still, we wanted to ask if there is any recommendation, weather-wise, for the itinerary of the Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos trip. Should we start in the north or in the south ?

Thank you very much!

#1 Posted: 12/7/2012 - 03:05

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"We understand that this is exactly the wet and hot season"

The climate is "hot" almost all year, but the hottest is usually March-May. Then when rainy season comes it cools it off slightly. Here in Chiang Mai it hasn't been very rainy so far this year, while last year we got some minor flooding in late September which turned into massive flooding further south Oct-Dec. You just don't know what you're going to get. Had some pretty sunny days lately and occasional thundershowers in the evening which can be kind of nice. As for north vs. south in mid-July I'd probably head for the lower gulf of Thailand which tends to have the best conditions then (Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, Ko Tao). October is when the north usually dries out although it can end with last blast of rain. In other words don't worry about it too much.

#2 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 04:18

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

From my experience, Northern Vietnam in mid-late October was nice. Dry, hot and no rain really. I'm talking Hanoi, HB and Sapa. Obviously every year is different though!

#3 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 04:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't consider Thailand hot. I find the climate here comfortable. Perfect jeans and t-shirt weather. Winter time actually gets a bit cold - though short of freezing thank the good Lord.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 05:01

• docho

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2012

Thanks for your replies guys.
    First you calmed us down a bit about the weather and rains and we understand that it is not something we need to worry about.
    We do understand that the weather in the north might get better closer to October, so it seems like our itinerary will be something like:

Get to Bangkok.
    Bus to Siam reap and than travel east inside till the border with Vietnam.
    In Vietnam travel south to north.
    From Hanoi get into Laos, either by land or by plain.
    Travel north of Laos first (which sounds more interesting for some reason).
    Here we will need to decide between the following according to how much time is left:
    1. No more time -> go finish the trip with 2 weeks in Thailand Islands.
    2. Time to travel south of Laos and than head to Thailand Islands.
    3. Have 3-4 weeks for Nepal and then back for 2 weeks in Thailand Islands.
    Back home from Bangkok

We appreciate your help!
    Thanks!

#5 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 05:43

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Laos is certainly not a country you want to be rushing through but on the other hand, given the time you have, you may well have time to cover Southern Laos as well as the North.

#6 Posted: 13/7/2012 - 10:03

• thejeffsy

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2012

During the wet season, is it preferable to do the four countries (cam, viet, thai, laos) anti-clockwise??
    That way you can visit the beaches etc. which apparently have less rain than the mainland ... and then move on and around getting further north as the wet season ends.. and doing chiang mai at the end of the trip??
    Or are things such as the flow of rivers prohibitive to some of the more 'memorable' experiences recommended?

Any seasoned pro's willing to shed some light?

#7 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 10:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.