Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia trip for 4 weeks... help please!

• jijerton

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2012

This will be my first time backpacking and my boyfriend and I are planning on going to Southeast Asia (Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand for 4 weeks).
    I know there's kind of a lot to cover in just 4 weeks, so if there's one country that has to be skipped I'm open to suggestions.

We will be mainly traveling overland from country to country because we're both on a budget.
    We don't have much of a plan yet but this is what I have so far:
    Beijing to Guilin (train)
    (stop in Guilin for 1 day)
    Guilin to Nanning (train)
    Nanning to Hanoi (train) or Nanning to Ha Long Bay City (8 hr, bus)
    I could also go from China Jinghong/Mengla into Laos. Would that be better than starting off in Vietnam?
    From there, I really need suggestions on where to go and the best way to make our way into Laos, Cambodia, then finally Thailand.

My friend suggested the below itinerary instead which goes from China to Laos to Thailand to Malaysia (axing Vietnam and Cambodia since this route is more direct from North to South).
    Guilin to Laos (need suggestions on best route - with visa points taken into consideration)
    Laos (not sure where to go in Laos)
    Laos to Bangkok?
    Bangkok to Phuket (planning on taking plane but if there's an economical way that is by land I'm open to it)
    Explore islands/beaches ( Krabi /Phi Phi/Phuket)
    Overland into Malaysia
    Malaysia from north to south (suggestions on where to go)
    Fly out of KUL airport back to US.

I've been researching how to make this trip happen and I feel like I'm going in circles. Any suggestion is appreciated!

On a side note, the places in Thailand I really want to see are Krabi (Railey for elephant trekking, rock climbing, etc.), Phi Phi Island, Phuket, and then finally Bangkok (we fly out of Bangkok to go back to the US).
    Also if you have any recommendations are where to see the best waterfalls, cliffs (cliff diving), elephant trekking, etc. are appreciated.

#1 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 12:29

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Since you only have 4 weeks, and are traveling overland from Northern China, it makes sense to eliminate the most difficult country - that's Vietnam. Even with that omission, you will be hard pressed for time to see the rest of Indochina and Thailand.

It would have made much more sense to fly into an airport in SE Asia, if that's your primary area of interest. If you do want to see Vietnam eventually, I suggest an entire month devoted to this country, and to do considerable research before attempting travel there.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 13:06

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I tend to agree. I'd even skip Laos and just do Thailand and Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 16:12

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

4 weeks! Stick to 2 countries max. Consider spending the majority of it in Thailand (fly into Bangkok) and end it in Cambodia (home from Phnom Penh). You don't want to end up with a big chunk of your travel time spent on buses, trains or planes.

#4 Posted: 16/7/2012 - 21:33

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Agree with all of the above - also bear in mind that the trip in China that you are doing is a monster one so you will be very tired from this once you arrive in SE Asia.

With 4 weeks, from experience of travelling in the region, I would do Vietnam OR Thailand OR Laos and Cambodia (but this may still be a bit tight for these two countries).

Why not spend 4 weeks in Vietnam? Great country, massive though. 4 weeks would be a lot longer than most people have there and would enable you to see some more OTB places.

#5 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 03:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Slow down, you move to fast.
    You got to make your moments last
    Just
    Kicking down, the cobblestone
    Looking for fun and feelin' groovy

SEA isn't about seeing everything or doing everything
    It's about chillin'

Listen to the above. They are spot on. Relax and enjoy the moment - which is really hard to do on a shitty ass bus.

#6 Posted: 17/7/2012 - 04:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SE Asia trip from USA (8 weeks) ... By azizi on 15 Nov 2010 2 2333 3 Dec 2010
6 weeks volunteer trip in SE Asia? ... By TraveltoTeach on 11 Dec 2012 0 1459 11 Dec 2012
15 weeks in SE Asia... Intinery for first major trip!! ... By MarkHall on 15 Sep 2008 2 2597 16 Sep 2008
6 weeks SE asia - review trip itinerary please :o) ... By leones707 on 11 May 2010 0 2139 11 May 2010
7 weeks in SE Asia trip plan, would you change sth? ... By AlexBCN on 22 Mar 2010 6 2954 15 Apr 2010
3 weeks SE Asia Trip in August 2013: Advice, Help! ... By libbyeab on 6 Feb 2013 1 1591 8 Feb 2013