Southeast Asia forum

3 months in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Camb & Laos) - arrive & depart from Bangkok

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hello everyone,

My name is Andy (female!) and in September I'll be travelling to SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam) for 12 weeks. I arrive back in London the week before Christmas!! EEEEKKK! So the countdown is ON!

I fly in and out of Bangkok and understand that the trip I'm taking is a very common one (though I personally don't know anyone whose done it!). Thing is, I've only ever been on organised treks before and never gone backpacking solo... so I'm quite nervous as you can imagine. I figured 3 weeks per country, roughly, would be a great way to get to know and absorb each country...

I'm reading my DK Eyewitness and Lonely Planet books and trying to work out a rough itinery to follow. I've always wanted to have my own adventure so don't want to be too rigid with my plans and I'm sure I'll meet lots of amazing peeps along the way who'll give me their pointers on where to visit/go to next, but wondered if anyone here could please help point me in the right direction of a recommended travel itinery I can refer to, given that I have about 3 weeks per country? Also trying to avoid back-tracking too much aswell...

Thank you in advance if you're able to help and sorry if this has been asked 1000 times already before. Just needing a bit of Dutch courage as reading the books alone is quite overwhelming and it all looks so amazing but am totally open to suggestions and tips!!

Best wishes and kindest regards,
    Andy xxx

#1 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 03:40

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Andy - good on you for planning an extended solo trip. You'll have a blast!

You're taking the right approach - get an overall idea of an itinerary, but don't overplan it. Your plans will definitely change as you go.

In terms of planning an overall itinerary, I'd suggest the best place to start is the Suggested Itineraries section on this website (follow the 'Planning Link' at the top, or >>click here

#2 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 03:50

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Awe, thank you and thank you for that link. I found this itinery to be really useful, but it's geared more for 5-6 week trips http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

I might try and find 3 week itineries for each of those countries in the planning section and then try to follow a similar overall route as per the above link so as to not back-track too much....

x

#3 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 07:02

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Unless you have very specific interests or want to bum round somewhere for a couple of weeks, then a 12 week cirlce from Bangkok would be the pretty standard route. This would encompass the islands, Bangkok, Northern Thailand, some trekking in Northern Laos, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng (if you are that way inclined), Vientiane, Si Phan Don, into Cambodia - Kratie, Siem Reap, PP, Kampot (maybe Sihanoukville), then Vietnam - Saigon, Hoi An and Northern Vietnam and then a cheap flight back to Bangkok.

This pretty much minimises the backtracking and is a very good intro to SE Asia, covering a good bit of a lot of things (e.g. trekking, beaches, big cities, good food towns etc).

#4 Posted: 8/8/2012 - 08:27

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hi chinarocks!!

I'm keeping an open mind for this trip as I want to be able to go where the wind takes me but I guess just having a basic route and plan to fall back on helps keep the nerves at bay....!

As I'm going Sept-Dec, do you think clockwise from Bangkok or anti-clockwise works better weather-wise?

I've just ordered myself a big travel map to take with me so will be adding stickers to it in the coming weeks to get a loose itinery going. Hopefully being a vegetarian won't be tooooo awkward out there either. I'm already preparing myself for fish sauce in everything though!! Haha!

Thank you so much for your replies. It means the world to me to have some assistance and I'll try to man up in the meantime and not let the nerves get to me too much.

Andy x

#5 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 05:09

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hi guys,

I've mapped out my first itinery for the Vietnam leg of my trip. Does this seem do-able in 3 weeks? Because I'm away for 12 weeks in total and wanted to spend about 3 weeks per country, I just wanted to gauge if it seems I'm taking on too much or if this is achievable. I'm still only loosely using an itinery but wanted to have something to follow.

I'm researching Cambodia next and just wanted to assess if I'm squeezing in too much as I don't really appreciate how big these countries are!!

Thanks so much,
    Andy

NORTHERN VIETNAM
    Hanoi:
    Temple of Literature – 2km west of Hoan Kiem Lake
    Women's Museum
    Hoa La Prison MuseumKhazaana (restaurant with veggie options)
    Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre (Municipal Water Puppet Theatre)

Halong Bay:
    Islands and caves and floating villages (use Ocean Tours to book)
    Perfume Pagoda

Cat Ba Island:
    Cat Ba National Park

Cuc Phuong National Park:
    Endangered Primate Rescue Centre
    Turtle Conservation Centre
    8km return hike within national park

Ninh Bihn:
    Tam Coc (three caves by row boat)

Haiphong: (maybe)
    Ba Be National Park (mountains, rivers, waterfalls, caves)

CENTRAL VIETNAM
    Hue:
    The Perfume River - Pagoda – boat tours around $25
    Phong Nha Cave
    Royal Tombs: Tomb of Khai Dinh and Tomb of Minh MangCitadel Imperial Enclosure

Hoi An/Danang:
    China Beach
    Old Quarter – lots of museums, historic buildings

SOUTH CENTRAL COAST/MEKONG DELTA REGION
    Phan Thiet: (seaside town)
    Mui Ne Beach (rolling sand dunes by the sea)

Nha Trang:
    Po Nagar Cham Towers

Con Dao Islands: (cluster of 16 islands)
    Con Dao National Park

Mekong Delta:
    Can Tho and Cai Rang - floating houses and markets

HO CHI MINH CITY
    HCMC Museum
    Jade Emperor Pagoda
    Cholon - pagodas everywhere!
    Chu Ci tunnels

#6 Posted: 16/8/2012 - 03:36

• AndyPandy

Joined Travelfish
    8th August, 2012

Hi everyone,

Less than a week to go before I take off for 3 months! I finally mapped out my own map so I can "see" how it should all shape up based on areas I'd ideally like to visit and have added a link to the pic for you. I also dotted some blue border crossings in to help me out too (colour coding each country made life easier!). Hopefully my map-reading skills won't fail me...! haha.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7159390@N02/7996860593/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Thank you for all your help and advice - it made preparing for my trip so much more pleasant, exciting and less daunting.

Best wishes,
    Andy

#7 Posted: 17/9/2012 - 13:19

• MissJones19-

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Hey AndyPandy

Hope youre trip has started well and you are enjoying every minute! I am planning a very similar trip for myself for May next year. Similar time frame and a solo journey too! Would be really great to hear back from you on how it all goes and what you were able to fit in during your trip!

All the best :)

#8 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 21:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4 wks left in SEA...Vietnam or Laos/Camb? ... By theothervaletguy on 11 Dec 2010 11 2239 31 Dec 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia - 3 months ... By rossco on 25 Jul 2011 0 2960 25 Jul 2011
5 months Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam and.... ... By DicoR on 28 Aug 2014 1 447 29 Aug 2014
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9734 25 Nov 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia 3 Months - Starting October 10 ... By chatz on 29 Aug 2009 15 5104 21 Jun 2010
Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!! ... By kgroarke on 12 Feb 2011 3 5661 1 Mar 2011
June start 3/4 months Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore- Help please!! ... By JayeAC on 15 May 2013 7 2602 6 Mar 2014
2 months to cover thailand, laos, cambodia and vietnam. Firsttime travellers!! ... By shuggy2985 on 17 Jan 2011 2 3829 18 Jan 2011
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 2 months for a solo female traveler ... By linalfonso on 27 Mar 2012 14 5064 11 Oct 2012
Thailand, laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bali - 6 months (Jan 2014) Advice needed ... By lewism05 on 15 May 2013 5 3541 21 Oct 2013