Southeast Asia forum

Advice for 18 year old male first time traveller going to SEA for 6 months?

• niallrichar-
    ds94

Joined Travelfish
    9th August, 2012

I am flying to Bangkok at the end of November and plan to get back at the end of may.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice that they would tell a lone 18 year old straight out of school and is going travelling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 05:14

• Advertisement

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

Dont block yourself from hanging out/talking with people who aren't your age, although some older people believe it is necessary for them to impart all of their wisdom on you.

I don't really have much else to offer in terms of go there, see this. Everything I would mention is on Travelfish in the country guides anyway. "Must see" places aren't always must see. For example in Bangkok, if aren't interested in the Grand Palace don't go. Bangkok has plenty of things to do that don't involve seeing temples. You may like temples though.

#2 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 06:38

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Get at least a double-entry tourist visa at home before you leave. Most nationalities can get a 30-day visa exemption when arriving by air (only 15 if by land) but for six months you definitely should get an actual visa. Each entry is good for 60 days with possible 30-day extension, so a double-entry would get you through 6 months. Once you have your visa and a source of money the rest is open to your imagination. Avoid the temptation to plan out your route too much. You usually end up changing it when meeting other travellers or discovering somewhere special. Chances are you won't even spend the whole time in Thailand. Many backpackers do the classic Southeast Asia loop through northern Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia, and maybe down to Malaysia (and Borneo). Myanmar is becoming very popular now too as the political situation opens up.

Just a few other logistical things come to mind. Tell your bank your travel dates so they don't block your ATM card for "suspiscious activity" when it gets used overseas. Bring a backup credit card or a few travellers checks in case your ATM card doesn't work. Scan important documents (passport, identification, etc) into an online account (your email?) so you can always retrieve it from an internet cafe in an emegency. Carry your main cash store in a secure money belt and just keep enough daily cash in your pocket, so you're not always digging into the money belt. Pack light! It's warm almost year-round and the less you have to lug around the better. The more I travel around here the lighter the bag gets. Bring a few shirts, a couple shorts, wash often and forget the fashion show. You'll probably pick up more stuff when here anyway (manditory Same Same But Different t-shirt, etc).

#3 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 12:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Get off the beaten path! If I were you, I would go to the University quarter of Khon Kaen. It's a huge university, loaded with kids your age, it's cheap there, and tons of fun. My son goes to school there. Additionally, there won't be any tourists, so you'll be unique, but there will be plenty of kids who speak at least some English. Remmber, if you offend someone, just say your sorry and that should defuse any trouble. Don't get falling down drunk. Know your limits. Have a great time.

#4 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 13:12

• lazybus

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Hello, I highly recommend Taiwan for first time travelers to Southeast Asia! It's SAFE, CHEAP, BEAUTIFUL, FUN and the people there are super friendly. I'm a Taiwanese from Canada, and I noticed not many backpackers come to Taiwan because it's not famous enough! So me and my friend we made a new Facebook page about fun things to do in Taiwan, you can go check it out! Hope it helps:)

https://www.facebook.com/LazyBusTours

#5 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 11:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
22 year old male traveling to Laos for the first time! ... By ihoopjazz on 5 Nov 2010 14 4294 1 Jan 2011
22 year old male traveling to Cambodia for the first time! ... By ihoopjazz on 5 Nov 2010 26 7682 1 Feb 2011
First time traveller help and advice please :-) Route/places to see? ... By Christine27 on 14 Sep 2010 2 2604 17 Sep 2010
Solo Traveling - 22 year old chick, 6-7 months - advice needed ... By katyesmith on 4 Jul 2010 3 3932 16 Apr 2013
First time solo traveler off to SE Asia for 3 months next month, would appreciate some advice. ... By NFT_Terrorist on 13 May 2014 12 974 16 May 2014
Solo traveller Male 23 - Thailand ... By DeeDee23 on 10 May 2013 0 1139 10 May 2013
Solo Traveller Bangkok 24y/o male ... By Daniel_Sg on 18 Apr 2014 0 341 18 Apr 2014
Phuket Koh Phi Phi on 26 May 2013 Male solo traveller - Indonesia ... By DeeDee23 on 21 Apr 2013 0 1495 21 Apr 2013
23/Male Solo Traveller - Arriving in Bangkok 1st March. ... By shivanz on 17 Feb 2014 0 387 17 Feb 2014
22yo Male Solo Traveller - Arrive Bangkok 13th February ... By Quickstix on 31 Jan 2014 5 1157 12 Feb 2014