Southeast Asia forum

Northern Laos to Thai Islands

• Sufire29

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2012

Been scrolling this site for months - it has given me great info! This is my first post.
    I'm off to Thailand/Laos for 21 days - arrive in Bangkok on Nov 23 and depart from Bangkok on Dec 15.
    My plan
    2 days in Bangkok
    Sleeper train to Chiang Mai
    5 days Chiang Mai (during Loi Krathong)
    2 days boat to Luang Prabang
    5 days Luang Prabang/Nong Kiaow maybe
    6 days.....?
    1 day Leave Bangkok

Up to Chiang Mai is somewhat set - I'm not booking anything after that and will just go with the flow. I was hoping to get some ideas for my last week though. I want to end my trip with a couple days on an island - for some beach time and some view point hiking. Am I missing anything?

After research, I'm still not sure the best way to get from Laos to the Thai islands..... Fly from Luang Prabang to Bangkok to island area..... Make my way to Vientiane (more flight options) and fly/train bus to Bangkok and then fly/train/bus to island. Has anyone done this? The least amount of travel time the better - but also open to making the journey longer to stop somewhere inbetween.

I'm budgeting 2 days to get to an island (suggestions please!! - white sand and cliffs - quieter) and 1 day to get back to Bangkok.

Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 00:51

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"2 days boat to Luang Prabang "

Allow 3 days for this; one day for bus or minivan to Chiang Khong, then two days for slow boat to Luang Prabang (or take a speedboat to knock it down a day).

"5 days Luang Prabang/Nong Kiaow maybe"

Sounds good; two days in LP, get a bus to NK, a day exploring, then boat back to LP is a highlight.

"6 days.....?"

Main obstacle then is getting south quick and/or cheap. Only flight option from LP is on Lao Airlines to BKK which will cost you around $170. Or fly LP-Vientiane for $80 otherwise it's a 10-hour bus ride. Then you still have to get south and onto a beach.

I'd say either spend those remaining six days in Laos (Vang Vieng, Vientiane) cross the bridge to Nong Khai and get a sleeper train to BKK

OR

Get out your wallet and fly to BKK, and again to the south (Phuket, Krabi)

OR

Get to Bangkok a few days early and just go to Ko Samet - nice sandy island only 3 hours from BKK airport.

#2 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 03:03

• Sufire29

Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2012

Thanks Captain_Bob - that really helps. I'll probably be deciding when I'm there once I see how it is going. I hadn't even though about Ko Samet.
    Cheers!

#3 Posted: 16/8/2012 - 20:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos or the Thai islands? ... By jroo88 on 24 Jan 2011 7 2685 5 Feb 2011
Trip Advise : Thai Islands - Laos - Cambo (25 days) ... By dharmakaya on 12 May 2008 5 2986 19 May 2008
SE Asia Budget - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thai Islands ... By lauraandmark on 4 Sep 2008 3 6122 21 Sep 2009
Advice needed...Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, southern Thai islands... ... By sunshine87 on 24 Jun 2008 41 12458 15 Jul 2008
greek male travelling thailand - laos - cambodia - vietnam then back to thai islands....mar-june ... By greektraveller on 10 Feb 2011 0 2219 10 Feb 2011