Southeast Asia forum

Two and a half weeks in Thailand

• Tremblett

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2012

I've done a lot of research on suggested itineraries for Thailand for such little time, but am constantly second guessing what I come up with after reading mixed opinions from everybody. Here's what I have so far...

- Bangkok for five days (which includes trips to Ayatthaya as well as Khao Yai Park)
    - Kanchanaburi for upwards of two days
    - Chiang Mai for between three to four days
    - Koh Pah Ngan for three days
    - Koh Tao for two days

One thought I had was to spend one less day in Koh Pah Ngan, maybe only two days in Chiang Mai, and do the Pai -> Mae Hong Son trek.

A lot of this itinerary is based off of the Two week North to South suggested route on this site.

We are three 25 year old males looking to soak in the obvious tourist attractions and then winding down with a Full Moon Party (maybe not so much winding down..) and resting on the beaches thereafter. We will be backpacking, and not staying in the expensive accommodation areas. There are a couple of spare days I haven't accounted for since obviously things come up, as well as travelling can be slow/delayed.

Basically I just want to make sure we aren't trying to crowd in too much in that short of a time, or that this suggested route isn't terrible.

As well, we will be towards the middle to the end of January.

Thanks for the help! :)

#1 Posted: 18/8/2012 - 23:48

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

January is the best time to be up north. Clear skies, sunny days, cool nights, wildflowers in bloom. Time to be on a motorcycle or even a small automatic scooter up in the northern hills. Rent bikes at Mr. Mechanic and do the Mae Hong Son loop. Map of this route available at many book shops in Chiang Mai . Allow 3-5 days for the 640km full loop via Mae Sariang and Doi Inthanon . Stay in Pai one night, Soppong (Cave Lodge), Mae Sariang, and go to the Doi Inthanon summit before heading back to CM. There are also good dayrides out of Chiang Mai like the Doi Pui summit, campground with walking trails, coffee plantation and botanical gardens, and back door to Huay Tung Tao lake, or the 100km Samoeng Loop. Get the "Mae Sa Valley" map made by GT-Rider at many bookshops in town.

#2 Posted: 19/8/2012 - 01:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Two and a half weeks in Thailand ... By Dutch on 15 Apr 2013 2 1597 15 Apr 2013
5 and a half weeks. How far can you go without being wiped out? ... By Tazzfalcon on 3 Jan 2009 6 2270 24 Jan 2009