Southeast Asia forum

Free Months SEA Travel plan

• SinSin23

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2012

Hi All,

I'm travelling south east asia for a few months before heading to Australia, I would appreciate any advice on my proposed travel route and any reccomendations.
    I wanted to add Burma to the plan but still undecided on whether or not to do it as it is expensive to get in etc and from what I've read online they are only really accepting tourists if their part of a tour group - i could be completly wrong on this though.

Here the route plan so far:

Bangkok 3 Days
    Ayutthaya 4-5 days
    Lopburi 1-2 days
    Phitsanulok 2 days
    Sukothai 2 days
    Chiang Mai 7 days
    Mae Hong Son -2-3 days
    Pai -2 days
    Chiang Mai transit to Chiang Rai
    Chiang Rai 3 days

Cross border into Laos:

Huay Xai- 1 day
    Pakbeng 1 day
    Luang Prabang 3 days
    Vang Vieng -2 days
    Vientiane 3 days

(Is it possible to get to the 4000 islands from here, if so how?) Couple of days here.

Flight to Hanoi from Vientiane (Ive heard the bus option to Hanoi is pretty bad)

Hanoi -3 days
    Ha Long Bay 3 days
    Dong Hoi 2 days
    Hue -3-5 days
    Hoi An 2 days
    Nha Trang - 4 days
    Ho Chi Minh City -3-4 days
    Mekong Delta 7 days

Bus to Phenom Penh:
    Phenom Penh 3 days
    Kampong Cham- 2 days
    Kratie 3 days
    Kompong Thom- 2 days
    Siam Reap 4 days
    Battambang 2 days

Fly back to Bangkok

Koh Samui 2 days
    Koh Phangan- 4 nights (as booking requires)
    Koh Tao -3-4 days
    Travel to Krabi (undecided how yet)
    Krabi -3 days
    Phi Phi Islands -3-4 days
    Koh Lanta- 4 days

Onto Singapore for flight to Australia.

107 days from when I arrived. I am not on a time restraint as such and budget should be plenty to get around and then get into Oz.

Am I missing anything that would be good to see. As I’m not confined to a time I will be taking advantage of that and staying longer in places I like

Thanks in Advance
    Sin

#1 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 08:34

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You're right ... you're wrong about Burma. No need to be part of a tour group. Just get your visa, buy a plane ticket and go.

You can get to the 4000 Island area of Southern Laos by overnight bus from Vientiane , via Pakse . You can also fly to Pakse and then go from there, but flights are expensive and are not, or were not last time I checked, daily. For just a couple of days in that area, I'd consider dropping it from the schedule. If you plan on checking out the Bolaven Plateau, Pakse, Champasak, Wat Phu, AND Si Phan Don, then it would be worthwhile.

If you want to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi, you're going to have to backtrack a very long way to get onto that plane. The bus trip between Pakse and Vientiane takes about 12-14 hours.

If you are going to be in Phitsanulok and Sukhothai for a couple of days each, make sure you visit Si Satchanalai . Rent a motorbike in Sukhothai and ride there. It's a fantastic ride with very little traffic, and Si Satchanalai is gorgeous!

#2 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 09:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Your general plan looks good to me and hopefully this is just a general itinerary and you can drift along staying longer in places you like and moving on quickly in places you don't. There is a lot to see and do and even 107 days won't seem like that much once you arrive.

On a few specifics, I'm curious why you've scheduled so many days in Ayutthaya and Lop Buri at the beginning of your trip. Unless you've got friends there or are particularly interested in that period of Thai history, typically just 2 or at most 3 days in Ayutthaya will go a long way and Lop Buri would be a day trip or an overnight. Same for Phitsanulok. I like all of those places, but I'd much rather spend that extra time in Sukhothai (with the side trip to Si Satchanalai Tilapia suggests) or Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang. But I suspect you'll decide once you arrive.

The only other comment I have is to keep visa requirements for each leg of your visit. Otherwise, have a great time. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 14:15

• SinSin23

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2012

Thanks for the replies,

I've been in Ayutthaya before and loved it so we were thinking of 3-4 days there just as a start of point. It really is just a loose plan as such, Am going on the knowledge that if I like somewhere I can stay longer and vice versa.Lopburi will more then likely be an over night or pass through on the way to Sukothai.
    I've never read about Si Satchanalai but definately like the look of that now that I have, will be sure to add that to the list.
    In regards to 4000 Islands, if its a pain to get to then i think I will give it a miss cause we are not spending too long in Laos at the moment.

#4 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 03:53

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey SinSin23,

Just FYI ... I wouldn't say that it's a pain to get to Si Phan Don. You could always head to Southern Laos (which is really nice) and check out the area, then cross into Cambodia and hit all of those places finishing with PP, and then take the bus (or fly) from PP to Saigon and work your way north. Then, fly back to Bangkok from Hanoi. You'd be swapping your 12 hour backtracking bus trip between Pakse and Vientiane for a more positive one between PP and Saigon and would be able to take in Southern Laos.

Just a thought.

Personally, I'd try to get Burma in there somehow. The sooner the better.

#5 Posted: 14/9/2012 - 18:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

My bad. For some reason I thought this was your first trip to Thailand. Since you've already been to Ayutthaya , you already know what you are getting. Back when the international flights arrived at Don Muang, I used to catch the train straight to Ayutthaya for the "relax and get past jet lag" first few days of the trip.

But if you like Ayutthaya, I suspect you'll really like Sukhothai too. Have fun.

#6 Posted: 15/9/2012 - 18:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
NOV 12 - SE ASIA. Travel companions with a plan...or a plan ... By chocolat on 25 Jul 2012 1 778 30 Jul 2012
First trip, 2 months, help me plan! ... By DavidW on 23 Sep 2011 4 1406 24 Sep 2011
Thailand: Free visa plan may shutter consulates ... By travelfishnews on 26 Jun 2009 0 2284 26 Jun 2009