Southeast Asia forum

SEA in 5 Months!

• nathanhough

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2012

Hi all,

My friend and I are looking at 5 months in SEA starting mid April 2013.

This is a list of our route (very rough). Have no idea how many days to spend at each place, we will just take it as it comes.

1. Bangkok
    2. Chiang Mai
    3. Luang Prabang (Slow Boat)
    4. Vang Vieng (We like to have a good time but not destroy ourselves)
    5. Vietianne
    6. Bus trip from Vietianne to Hanoi (This will be an...experience)
    7. Halong Bay
    8. Hoi An
    9. Nha Trang
    10. HCM City
    11. Phnom Penh (Rocket Launchers??)
    12. Siem Reap
    13. Bangkok (Pattaya, Ko Chang?)
    14. Bus down to Ko Samui
    15. Ko Phangan (Full Moon Party)
    16. Ko Tao (Diving)
    17. Phuket
    18. Ko Phi Phi
    19. Indonesia (havn't really done much research on places to go in Indo)
    20. Home

We are planning on 1 month in Vietnam, 3 weeks in Laos, 1-2 weeks in Cambodia, 1 month in Thailand if not more, rest in Indonesia. We will be busing and using trains as much as possible (Flying only if we really have to).

We are 22 & 23 years old and enjoy abit of nightlife but aren't a huge fan of getting S*&t faced. Interested in Beaches, Motorbike rides, SEA Cuisine, Diving, Live Music, Markets, Tailored Suits, Caving, a few temple visits, meeting locals and tourists, Kick boxing.

What I would like to know is what shouldn't we miss. What places/tours/destinations should we make sure we go to. If you have found a cool restaurant/bar/area I would like to know. Also any tips you could give me about some places would be a great help. If you see some of our interests and think to yourself "hey I know a place that is perfect for that", let me know.

What should we do in Indonesia, I have no idea?

Thanks for your help,
    Nathan

#1 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 07:15

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"19. Indonesia (havn't really done much research on places to go in Indo)"
    "What should we do in Indonesia, I have no idea?"

There are more than 17 000 islands in Indonesia...Do some thinking and come back with something a bit more specific.
    The "rocket launchers" in PP will set you back roughly $200-250US. AK47's and M16's will run you around $50.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 00:54

• nathanhough

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2012

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for your reply. Good insight on the weaponry.
    In regards to Indonesia, i'm looking for peoples first hand experience and knowledge as it has such a large number of islands and is hard to know exactly where to go.

Cheers,
    Nathan

#3 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 07:01

• nasmej11

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

in indonesia, follow the train route....

#4 Posted: 28/9/2012 - 22:05

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Make sure you look into the climates for all your locations and when you would plan on being there before you go.

I was planning a trip to Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia starting in Nov and ending in Feb and had been thinking about Indonesia etc. Then after more researching I realized that Vietnam is quite wet in Nov/Dec and that the east side of Malaysia is monsoon until March. Indonesia is wet season Nov-Mar. Thailand, Cambodia and Laos are wet Aug-Oct and stupid hot Mar-June.

It really makes it difficult to see all the places at one time. What I have decided to do is go Thailand - Laos - Cambodia - Vietnam instead to have decent weather and then if I am feeling really ambitious could fly to Malaysia and do that and then Indonesia etc or else come back and do Malaysia - Indonesia - Philippines another trip.

Anyway, just saying make sure the climates make sense for your trip, I found it was a lot harder to plan around then initially thought.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 22:47

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Nathan,
    Indonesia - consider looking into Bali and Java. A couple of weeks in Bali and the same in Java. This site is a great resource for those 2 places. You won't have crowds in Java and if you head to the north of Bali you'll find less travellers.
    It is an "easier" part of Indonesia to get around - specifically Bali - for a first timer. Some of the more popular places you can look into going - in no specific order - Tanah Lot, Pemuteran, Ahmed, Lovina, Ubud, Ijen, Bromo, Prambanan, Borobudur...
    All of these places are easily accessed by train, bus, taxi or motorbike. Learn a few phrases in Bahasa to help yourself out!
    Don't stress about the weather - especially in Bali and Java. It is my experience that the timing of the monsoons is less reliable. And if you find yourself somewhere and the rain is disrupting your ability to enjoy yourself then get yourself a cheap flight out! No big deal.
    The only place - this is my experience travelling in SEA from January until April - that the rains kept me from getting too was east Malaysia. The train tracks were under water!
    Relax...enjoy!
    Depending on your mood you can bring your own chicken to the shooting gallery outside PP :) Different strokes for different folks...

#6 Posted: 30/9/2012 - 23:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.