Southeast Asia forum

Nature and best outdoor activities

• cath2006uk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2011

Hey!

I'm currently travelling in Thailand and at the 3rd week of a 3 month trip before heading onto New Zealand for 2 months. I'm thinking this area of the world may not be for me... I'm not such a big fan of Thai cities and urban areas, BUT did really enjoyed my overnight treks in the jungle and the elephant park. So I want to now base my trip around seeing as much nature, stunning scenery, wilderness and doing lots of trekking and outdoor activities (without breaking the bank). Knowing this, where MUST I go and what things must I do in S.E.Asia?!

Thank you in advance :D

#1 Posted: 5/10/2012 - 23:11

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Are you flying to New Zealand from Bangkok? Curious about where you'd want to end up, how far afield you want to go. Not sure if you're back in in BKK now or up north having just finished your treks. If you are up north I'd recommend working your way through Northern Laos for a month, you could speed things up a little and make it down to Tha Khaek for the caves and motorbike around there. Also the Bolaven Plateau has some great waterfalls to scope out for a week long motorbike trip based out of Pakse . . you could then go down and relax seeing Wat Phu in Champaskae, maybe float to 4,000 Islands.

That's not even to say all the nice stuff in Vietnam, though it is a bit more urban than Laos . . . I also really enjoyed Java and Lombok in Indonesia, here Sumatra offers some inexpensive hiking opportunities.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 02:23

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Khao Sok NP is awesome
    Just wait a while first, there's a massive rainy storm heading through mid/south Thailand the next few days. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp201221.html

#3 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 07:07

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

I really enjoy white water rafting; there must be several places to do it in Thailand. A multi-day trip will cost several thousand baht and a single day trip will be around 1500 to 2000 baht.

#4 Posted: 6/10/2012 - 22:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.