Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

First timer...you advice greatly appreciated!

Posted by JustBreathe on 12/10/2012 at 22:05

Hi everyone,
I am going to Ghana for a nursing practicum until the end of May and then plan to continue on to SEA for June and possible July with a friend.
I am researching itineraries and trying to work out a tentative plan but I am getting overwhelmed with blogs about weather seasons, safety concerns, and the number of places to explore.
I am interested primarily in nature, historical sites, and local life but with a taste of faster-paced towns mixed in. I am happy to stay in hostels and eat at vendors but I am happy to spend a bit more money on worthwhile sidetrips.
I understand that Indonesia, the East coast of Malaysia, and South East Thailand are fairly dry at this time of year compared to other areas of SEA countries, but I have no idea how to best go about incorporating that into my plan. Am I correct?
Any advice about this with a general timeline of 6 weeks would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks, M (23yr female)

#1 JustBreathe has been a member since 12/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 13/10/2012 at 12:35

Well you did not mention your point of entry or your point of departure, which are critical in determing where you might go. But assuming both are BKK, then I suspect taking a flight to Penang and then heading north to Bangkok, skipping through the Pattani area as quickly as possible, would be a trip that might interest you. You can find all the places along that route right here and narrow things down.

Only two things I think are important is:
1. Don't attach a timeline. Go someplace and move on when you get bored with it or just decide it ain't your place.
2. Don't book in advance - or you will note be able to execute number one.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by caseyprich on 13/10/2012 at 20:17

Java is nice in June-July, just before the peak tourism of August but prices will be up as you enter July. It offers all the things you mentioned above and you could work your way from Jakarta over to Bali, then from Bali there is an international airport that would give you the opportunity to fly to Kuala Lumpur and finish the remainder of the trip you mentioned. Give yourself at least two weeks on Java and a week to explore Bali, then spend the rest of the time getting from KL to Bangkok (you may want to get to BKK earlier so that you could take side trips up to Ayutthaya or Sukhothai for a little history. On the way up through Malaysia you've got Melaka for some history, cameron highlands for some nature and i've heard only good things about the Perhentian Islands in the northeast.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.