Southeast Asia forum

First timer...you advice greatly appreciated!

• JustBreathe

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2012

Hi everyone,
    I am going to Ghana for a nursing practicum until the end of May and then plan to continue on to SEA for June and possible July with a friend.
    I am researching itineraries and trying to work out a tentative plan but I am getting overwhelmed with blogs about weather seasons, safety concerns, and the number of places to explore.
    I am interested primarily in nature, historical sites, and local life but with a taste of faster-paced towns mixed in. I am happy to stay in hostels and eat at vendors but I am happy to spend a bit more money on worthwhile sidetrips.
    I understand that Indonesia, the East coast of Malaysia, and South East Thailand are fairly dry at this time of year compared to other areas of SEA countries, but I have no idea how to best go about incorporating that into my plan. Am I correct?
    Any advice about this with a general timeline of 6 weeks would be hugely appreciated!
    Thanks, M (23yr female)

#1 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 22:05

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Well you did not mention your point of entry or your point of departure, which are critical in determing where you might go. But assuming both are BKK, then I suspect taking a flight to Penang and then heading north to Bangkok, skipping through the Pattani area as quickly as possible, would be a trip that might interest you. You can find all the places along that route right here and narrow things down.

Only two things I think are important is:
    1. Don't attach a timeline. Go someplace and move on when you get bored with it or just decide it ain't your place.
    2. Don't book in advance - or you will note be able to execute number one.

#2 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 12:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Java is nice in June-July, just before the peak tourism of August but prices will be up as you enter July. It offers all the things you mentioned above and you could work your way from Jakarta over to Bali, then from Bali there is an international airport that would give you the opportunity to fly to Kuala Lumpur and finish the remainder of the trip you mentioned. Give yourself at least two weeks on Java and a week to explore Bali, then spend the rest of the time getting from KL to Bangkok (you may want to get to BKK earlier so that you could take side trips up to Ayutthaya or Sukhothai for a little history. On the way up through Malaysia you've got Melaka for some history, cameron highlands for some nature and i've heard only good things about the Perhentian Islands in the northeast.

#3 Posted: 13/10/2012 - 20:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15145 12 Feb 2012
First timer, advice much appreciated! ... By paulchangman on 17 Jun 2009 2 1646 17 Jun 2009
First timer, advice much appreciated! ... By paulchangman on 17 Jun 2009 4 1869 22 Jun 2009
Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months ... By JarrodPace on 7 May 2011 3 1800 8 May 2011
Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months ... By JarrodPace on 7 May 2011 6 3174 15 Jun 2011
Advice for First Timer ... By BeachFossils on 6 Oct 2012 3 1711 8 Oct 2012
3-4 week trip - first timer advice needed! ... By Katie2952 on 10 Mar 2014 5 1329 21 Apr 2014
Thailand First-timer advice - head off in 10 days! ... By andreatravel on 6 Nov 2007 2 1738 6 Nov 2007