Nong Khai (Vientiane) to Sukhothai?

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Anyone done this before - or the reverse? Just curious as to availability of transport, travel time and road conditions.

#1 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 18:25

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

On my last trip to Phitsanulok I saw buses bound for Udon Thani . The reverse would have to be true, wouldn't it? If you aren't in a hurry, there are more local-style buses that follow the Mekong River upstream from Nong Khai along Route 211 (I think), passing through some pretty great little towns on the way to Loei. If you've got the time, a few of those towns are worth an overnight. Then from Loei you could make your way to Phitsanulok and on to Sukhothai .

I'm afraid I can't help with travel time or frequency of buses, but I've always been surprised at how good the road conditions are in Thailand. I drove Route 211 on a scooter not that long ago and road conditions were great - and that's the back route, not the main Udon Thani to Phitsanulok route.

Not that you asked, but I love Nong Khai and Sukhothai too. When are you going?

BTW, I just saw this trip report for Nong Khai to Sukhothai. It's linked below or you can click:

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/12984_nong-khai-to-sukhothai

#2 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 19:02

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/3549_nong-khai-to-sukothai

Hi there thought I'd add mine from a few years ago, pretty similar but yes doable a long day with some beautiful scenery up around Loei.
    Hope that helps

swag

#3 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 19:23

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Casey,

I've done that trip 5 times. Three times by bus and twice on my bike. I've always gone east to west, never the other way around. Also, I've always followed the Mekong and, like Exacto, highly recommend it if you've got the time.

There are (or, at least, were) three buses making the journey between Nong Khai and Loie each day, with the first leaving at around 7:30-8:00 am. It's one of those green buses with doors and windows that don't close, and that is always full of friendly and curious local folks. The bus will make stops in nearly all the villages along the way so you can hop off anywhere you want.

These buses go along #211 as far as Pak Chom and then, rather than continue another 45 km along one of the most beautiful stretches of the Mekong in the entire country to Chiang Khan, it goes south on #2108 through some remote, gorgeous, hilly countryside to a small village called Ban That. From here the bus will turn left and head south on #201 to Loei where it terminates. Then, as Exacto stated, you can get on the bus to Phitsanulok. The bus is almost always full and unless you battle your way to the front, you may end up standing for half, or more, of the trip.

The road conditions/surfaces for the entire way are usually excellent and are quickly fixed if ruined by flooding.

While at the bus station in Loei, try the grilled sticky rice on a stick. It's fantastic!

Sukhothai is another 45-60 minutes by bus from Phitsanulok.

That's the long, more time-consuming but highly rewarding way to get there.

If you decide to make the trip from Nong Khai to Sukhothai in one go, you'll be traveling for about 9-10 hours. Going via Udon would be quicker.

If you do go that way, recommend stopping in Sangkhom at Buoy Bungalow for a few days, rent a motorbike and explore the area. Also Chiang Khan, despite finding its way onto the Thai Tourist Trail, is worth checking out. Lovely little spot.

Old Sukhothai is 12 km from the new city of Sukhothai. Both have their advantages. Old Sukhothai has a great guesthouse called Old City Guest House where you can get a massive room right across the street from the historical park for B300. In the new city there is a huge number of places to choose from. The new city also has a decent night market, and a great, lazy, laidback atmosphere.

#4 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 10:35

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

"I've done that trip 5 times. Three times by bus and twice on my bike."

I'd say between Tilapia's advice and swag's trip report, you're covered.

Like Tilapia says, if you do wind up taking the slower route along the river, consider an overnight in Sangkhom at Buoy. They've got huts, some with private bath, high up on a little peninsula overlooking the Mekong River. You can laze about for a few hours in a hammock right on your porch. Great home-cooked food and an honor bar for a beer or three. It is a charming little town.

#5 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 19:46

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Thanks for the advice folks- super detailed, just what I was looking for. I won't be doing this trip until July (and then only maybe). My mom is coming for another visit to the Far East, but I've told her I'm more excited to show her around SE Asia than do another trip around China with her. She wants to see some living Buddhism and some ruins so I thought a trip that included Luang Prabang and Sukhothai would be just the thing. She is okay with the heat, she still runs most days, nearer to 60 than 50 at this point but quite adventurous - the trip doesn't sound like it'll be too much wear on her, though I imagine the buses we had in Yunnan were much better, the roads couldn't be any worse.

Thanks again - I'll be bookmarking this thread for latter inspection.

#6 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 20:22

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006

Sounds like a great trip. Given your travel companion, you might consider breaking up the trip with a stopover. Loei is not a bad choice. Phitsanulok could be a good spot too. After a long day, you could relax in P-lok with a nice dinner on one of the riverboat restaurants. Great fish. Then the next morning you could visit the large, very popular Buddhist temple in Phitsanulok that I think your Mom might enjoy. When I visited, it seemed to be a more modern take on Buddhism. There were lots of Thai and other asian tourists/pilgrims there. After that you can continue to Sukhothai, which you'll both love. Have fun.

#7 Posted: 16/10/2012 - 21:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Nong Khai to Sukhothai ... By danceswithrose on 28 Dec 2010 0 3791 28 Dec 2010
From railwaystation Nong Khai to Vientiane ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 2 5897 25 Jun 2010
Nong khai to vientiane border crossing ... By Bernardo on 18 May 2012 3 2296 21 May 2012
Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Nong Khai - July 2006 Trip Report ... By exacto on 8 Sep 2006 4 4817 23 Nov 2006
Ban Mae Rim Nam, Nong Khai ... By exacto on 19 Feb 2010 0 3679 19 Feb 2010
Best Way f/ Chang Mai to Nong Khai ... By mespena on 31 Jan 2007 4 3996 1 Feb 2007
Nong Khai or Mae Hong Son ... By longbeach on 11 Jul 2012 19 1749 19 Jul 2012
Nong Khai to Laos ... By Kevi19 on 5 May 2012 10 1623 10 May 2012
Aranyaprathet to Nong Khai ... By Layabout on 22 Jul 2008 2 5495 23 Jul 2008
Nong Khai to Sukothai ... By swag on 23 Mar 2008 0 4413 23 Mar 2008