Southeast Asia forum

Three weeks in SEA and need a bit of help

• wags3671

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2012

Hi all,

I am leaving in two weeks for three weeks in SEA. I start in Vietnam and will be in Hanoi and Hoi An from Nov 1 to Nov 7. After that I am up in the air. Originally I wanted to go to Mekong Delta and explore but now I think I should just head on to Siem Reap for a couple of days and then on to Thailand and try to spend more time there.

I am thinking the following:

Nov 1-7 Vietnam
    Nov7-10 Siem reap
    Nov 10-16 Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai
    Nov16-20 Bangkok

thoughts? Should I go to Nha Trang, should I try to get to Loas for three days?

I am super overwhelmed. At this point only first 7 days are booked. AHHH

Help
    thanks
    Andrea

#1 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 20:40

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Not sure if your return flight home is out of BKK then? (If it is Hanoi and you are leaving Vietnam reminder that you'd need a double entry visa arranged before arrival).

Anyway, my overall opinion would be that for 3 weeks keep it to a maximum of 2 countries to save on travel time and cost of internal flights that may be needed. There is plenty to see and do around Hoian including Da Nang and Hue , and also if you are around Hanoi there are Sapa and Ha Long Bay. So even in that region you plan to explore you could easily eat up 2 weeks.

As for Nha Trang , give it a skip if you are already going to be around Hoian as there is a beach that runs the length from Da Nang down to Hoian. If you plan to skip the south I guess you'd have to check to see if there are flights from Da Nang to Siem Reap, I don't know. I doubt they will be cheap. The other option would be to fly into HCMC for a night or two anyway from Da Nang so that you can do the cheaper alternative of going overland and spend a couple nights in Phnom Phen before going on to Siem Reap, maybe get to see a little more of Cambodia that way.

The inclusion of your thoughts on Nha Trang with considerations of Chiang Mai and Laos confuses me as to if you want to include more beaches or more scenery/culture. If beaches, there are some in the South of Cambodia you could consider, if more scenery culture you can certainly soak that up in Hue or up in Sapa while in Vietnam. I'd avoid Laos on this trip for sure, just not enough time.

#2 Posted: 15/10/2012 - 22:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.