Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Christmas and NYE

Posted by potta_boro on 3/11/2012 at 14:53

Hi i was just curious to no where would the best country/city/town to spend christmas and new year out of Thailand Vietnam and Cambodia im not really sure which of these i will be in at the time but if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it as im travelling solo and i dont really want to be in the middle of nowhere in my bed with nothing happening around me like a saddo thinking of home. cheers

#1 potta_boro has been a member since 3/5/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 56
 Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/11/2012 at 23:28

Since Dec 25 and Jan 1 are primarily Western occasions you should head where the tourists are if you want a shared celebration. The flipside of course is many of those places are heaving full of tourists at that (peak season) time. Maybe aim for somewhere slightly off the most beaten path but still popular.

In Thailand I've spent Christmas/NYE on Ko Lanta and it was a nice balance, or go up to Chiang Mai where it actually gets cool at night and can feel more "Christmasy" with many hotels laying on a Christmas buffet for tourists and expats, and there's a big NYE countdown with fireworks display.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.