Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Singapore to BKK 24 days

Posted by GilbertMcDonald on 5/11/2012 at 22:32

Planning a trip in March/April starting in Singapore ending in Bangkok 24 days.
Require a little help.

Singapore -3 days
Malacca - 2 days
KL - 1 day
Cameron Highlands- 2 days
Georgetown or Langkawi - 3 days ??
Krabi-Railay beach - 5 days
Phuket - 5 days
Bangkok 2 or more days

Any feedback will help.

#1 GilbertMcDonald has been a member since 22/11/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 25
 Where has GilbertMcDonald been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/11/2012 at 23:59

You need to allow more time for getting place-to-place. Sometimes a seemingly short bus/train ride can end up taking the better part of a day when you include packing up, getting to the station, waiting to go, busy roads, border checkpoints, finding accommodation, etc.

It's a matter of personal preference, but having done this route a few times I would start by taking out Phuket and giving a couple extra days for the Cameron Highlands and Langkawi. KL can also be worth more time, but IMO it's really just another huge Asian city. Georgetown can also be interesting fo a couple days, but to me feels very much like a slightly dirtier version of Singapore (Indian/Chinese/Malay mix).

Take a ferry from Penang to Langkawi, and then another Tigerline ferry to Ko Lipe for a couple days and onward to Ko Lanta, which is a nice scenic island-hopping route and IMO much better than being crammed in a bus for a couple days. The Langkawi-Lipe-Lanta ferry usually runs until end of April.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,819

Posted by GilbertMcDonald on 16/11/2012 at 14:38

Thanks Captain_Bob I would prefer to be on a ferry and island hopping than spending a lot of time on the bus. Phuket was a last minute thought because I could fly to Bangkok from there but a nice overnight train from Krabi sounds appealing too.
KL was just to see the towers and check out the city then out to the highlands.
Ko Lanta sounds interesting, back to the planning.

Gil McDonald (no hockey night in Canada)

#3 GilbertMcDonald has been a member since 22/11/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 25

Posted by Alexcito on 16/11/2012 at 17:29

As far as Thailand, I much prefer the east coast Island beaches such as Koh Samui, and Koh Phan Gan. Something about being on an island adds to the exotic and it is much nicer than Krabi. Also much easier to rent a moped and explore. Phucket is more expensive and if I could only see one beach I would prefer Chaweng any day over Patong. Also Koh Samui has an airport, and Haad Rin or a more secluded beach is just a boat ride away.

#4 Alexcito has been a member since 16/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Alexcito on 16/11/2012 at 17:31

Dittos on the Captains assessment of Georgetown/ Singapore.

#5 Alexcito has been a member since 16/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by GilbertMcDonald on 4/12/2012 at 19:40

Thanks for the info Alexcito but I was under the impression the weather on the east side that time of year is unpredictable.
I have taken Captain Bob's and your info under consideration and have increased my trip by ten days and we will be mostly on the east side using ferries.
However should I reserve the hotels in Langkawi, Koh Lipe?

#6 GilbertMcDonald has been a member since 22/11/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 25

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.