Singapore to BKK 24 days

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Planning a trip in March/April starting in Singapore ending in Bangkok 24 days.
    Require a little help.

Singapore -3 days
    Malacca - 2 days
    KL - 1 day
    Cameron Highlands- 2 days
    Georgetown or Langkawi - 3 days ??
    Krabi-Railay beach - 5 days
    Phuket - 5 days
    Bangkok 2 or more days

Any feedback will help.

#1 Posted: 5/11/2012 - 22:32

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You need to allow more time for getting place-to-place. Sometimes a seemingly short bus/train ride can end up taking the better part of a day when you include packing up, getting to the station, waiting to go, busy roads, border checkpoints, finding accommodation, etc.

It's a matter of personal preference, but having done this route a few times I would start by taking out Phuket and giving a couple extra days for the Cameron Highlands and Langkawi. KL can also be worth more time, but IMO it's really just another huge Asian city. Georgetown can also be interesting fo a couple days, but to me feels very much like a slightly dirtier version of Singapore (Indian/Chinese/Malay mix).

Take a ferry from Penang to Langkawi, and then another Tigerline ferry to Ko Lipe for a couple days and onward to Ko Lanta, which is a nice scenic island-hopping route and IMO much better than being crammed in a bus for a couple days. The Langkawi-Lipe-Lanta ferry usually runs until end of April.

#2 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 23:59

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Thanks Captain_Bob I would prefer to be on a ferry and island hopping than spending a lot of time on the bus. Phuket was a last minute thought because I could fly to Bangkok from there but a nice overnight train from Krabi sounds appealing too.
    KL was just to see the towers and check out the city then out to the highlands.
    Ko Lanta sounds interesting, back to the planning.

Gil McDonald (no hockey night in Canada)

#3 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 14:38

• Alexcito

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

As far as Thailand, I much prefer the east coast Island beaches such as Koh Samui, and Koh Phan Gan. Something about being on an island adds to the exotic and it is much nicer than Krabi. Also much easier to rent a moped and explore. Phucket is more expensive and if I could only see one beach I would prefer Chaweng any day over Patong. Also Koh Samui has an airport, and Haad Rin or a more secluded beach is just a boat ride away.

#4 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 17:29

• Alexcito

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Dittos on the Captains assessment of Georgetown/ Singapore.

#5 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 17:31

• GilbertMcDo-
    nald

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Thanks for the info Alexcito but I was under the impression the weather on the east side that time of year is unpredictable.
    I have taken Captain Bob's and your info under consideration and have increased my trip by ten days and we will be mostly on the east side using ferries.
    However should I reserve the hotels in Langkawi, Koh Lipe?

#6 Posted: 4/12/2012 - 19:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.