Southeast Asia forum

Singapore to Phnom Penh in 2 weeks

• Draams

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2012

I'm flying in to Singapore on the 20th of November and meeting some friends in Phnom Penh on the 6th to go rock climbing through Laos and Vietnam over the next month. We'll also duck into Siem Riep for Angkor Wat.

That leaves me with 2 weeks to get to Phnom Penh. I also need to organise my visas for Laos and Vietnam in BKK on Phnom Penh (don't want to hold the other guys up who are more organised). Apart from that, freedom!

I love climbing, hiking, adventure, and am interested in scenery and culture in that order. Not so much the parties. 25 y/o Australian male. I will be taking basic camping and rock climbing gear and traveling very light (sub 7kg).

I enjoy being frugal, but don't hold back on any lovely expensive ideas. Budget is whatever it costs, as little as it needs to be though.

I was thinking of taking the train from Singapore to BKK, stopping off at some select locations for a few days, then something to Phnom Penh. Thinking if I can take some time and get a dive qualification that would be great, I just want it to be somewhere special.

Or I was thinking of ducking over to Borneo and doing some hiking.

Anyway, any suggestions or time you have for me will be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted: 11/11/2012 - 20:57

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Laos visa is available on arrival at every land border these days, so you don't need to waste time getting that in advance. Vietnam visa is easiest to get in Cambodia, especially in Sihanoukville on the coast.

Heading north from Singapore you might want to hit the west coast near Krabi in Thailand, especially Tonsai beach which is the rock climber's Mecca.

A side-trip to Borneo can be well worthwhile - I did the same years ago working my way up from Singapore with plan similar to yours. It's not the cheapest place, but take the opportunity to climb Mt. Kinabalu and explore the Niah and Mulu caves which are epic.

Two weeks isn't a lot, but once you reach Bangkok it just takes 2 days to Phnom Penh by public transport (or 1 hour flight on Air Asia).

#2 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 23:41

• Draams

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2012

I'm really feeling the time constraints; it's not how I like to travel at all. I might just fly everywhere, and spend a week around krabi, and a week around Chang Mai, for loy kratong and some hiking. Not the way I would like to do things, but hearing about Loy Kratong has me excited.

I'm thinking I'll definitely fly into Phnom Penh at the moment.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2012 - 14:51

• jc1257

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

If you wanted to do overland, you could get from Bangkok to Phnom Penh in a day. Take an early bus or train (less likely to get conned on the train) to the border of Cambodia, walk across the border, kindly ignore the people telling you that you have to get on the "free" bus to the bus station and keep walking. Just past them you should be able to find a driver willing to take you in Phnom Penh that afternoon.

Not as fast as a plane, but certainly more interesting.

#4 Posted: 15/11/2012 - 15:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville-Siem Reap in 2 weeks: need advices ... By vuh on 2 May 2007 3 2776 3 May 2007
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 442 2 Mar 2014