Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Planning...

• banjordan

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning a honeymoon trip in SE Asia, departing on December 14. Our first week will be in Taiwan; on 12/21 we fly from Taipei to Phnom Penh and then we have about 3 more weeks after that. Here's what we're thinking:

Phnom Penh (2 nights). Flight to Siem Reap.
    Siem Reap (3 nights). Flight to Luang Prabang.
    Luang Prabang (7 nights). Flight to BKK and then an overnight train or bus south to a ferry.
    Ko Tao or Samui or Lanta (4 nights)
    BKK (4 nights)

Does this seem reasonable? We generally want a relaxing pace. I'd love your feedback on (1) whether you think we're being too aggressive, or not aggressive enough, regarding how many destinations we're fitting in, (2) what are the best day trips around Luang Prabang, and (3) which island in southern Thailand makes the most sense for this time frame, given that we're not into a club scene and want relaxing beach time with some outdoor activities (kayaking, snorkeling).

Thanks so much!
    Jordan (& Lisa)

#1 Posted: 16/11/2012 - 01:16

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Jordan,

A couple of thoughts:

1) I'd consider shifting one night off Siem Reap and perhaps one night of Luang Prabang to give you a longer stint in whichever island you choose.

2) Given you're flying all the other legs, why not fly south to Samui or Krabi (for Ko Lanta ) as that will save you a bit of time also.

For an island I'd suggest Ko Lanta -- be sure to look into kayak trips in the mangroves there - not a lot of people do them, but they're apparently pretty good. Lanta also fits the bill for not too boisterous an atmosphere.

Day trips from Luang Prabang - Pak Ou is the obvious and popular one, but there are also some stuff revolving around elephants. Following story is dated, but I believe the trips still running.

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/134

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 18/11/2012 - 07:52

• banjordan

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2012

Thanks so much- very helpful! I think we're going to shave a night off Luang Prabang so we can fit in Vientiane, and fly from BKK to Krabi to add a night on the beach.

#3 Posted: 21/11/2012 - 19:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.