Southeast Asia forum

Backpacking route

• wmw120894

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2012

Hi all!

This is my first solo backpacking trip. Would like to seek your opinion on the viability of this route.

Flying on 3 dec from Singapore --> Ho chi minh --> Hoi an --> Hue --> Hanoi --> Vientiane --> Phnom Penh --> Siem reap --> Bangkok --> Koh Tao --> Bang kok --> Chiang Mai --> Bang kok

I'm wondering if it's better to fly into Bangkok from Singapore and go to Chiangmai followed by Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back in BK. Or to proceed with my route..

Also, wondering if US$2000 (excluding air tickets) is enough for roughly a month.

Do let met know your opinion! Very much appreciated!

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 04:46

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi there,

Firstly I'd say you're trying to pack quite a lot into one month - you might find you enjoy the trip more if you give yourself more time in each place before you move on.

Budget wise, you haven't mentioned your travel style. You've got more than enough, assuming you're a standard backpacker or flashpacker (which is good with the schedule, because you'll probably want to use some internal flights to save you transport time).

#2 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 08:29

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Budget should be fine for a month - you've got roughly 60 USD a day and when you can stay in a guesthouse for 5-10USD and eat a meal for 2USD I think you'll be fine. Alternate really cheap days with some splurges.

My only concern, like the above, is how much you are trying to fit into a month. I'd choose to see just one of these countries in that time - however, if you are looking for a sample tour to see where you'd like to spend more time in the future . . . well, even then I think you need to cut something out.

Possible path: Vietnam then fly to PP and work your way through SR to BKK (fairly quickly). See how much time you have left and if it is enough go up to Chiang Mai for a couple nights then down to the islands to end your stay relaxing with beach time - or skip Chiang Mai and go directly to the islands (I always recommend ending on the beach). This way you've got something like under two weeks for Vietnam, a week for PP . . .and then probably a week for BKK and Ko Tao . . .

To save on Visa expense you could skip Cambodia and instead fly Hanoi to Chiang Mai (not sure that is possible) and hit CM, Sukhothai on the way down to BKK to see some temple ruins. That would make it just a Vietnam-Thailand trip.

#3 Posted: 17/11/2012 - 20:34

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

No-one can know how much money another person will require.

#4 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 01:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
3 and half weeks backpacking Cambodia and Laos - tips, advice and suggested route ... By NatalieP on 1 Mar 2011 8 9651 9 Mar 2011