Southeast Asia forum

SE Asia route??

• baker77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Hi Guys,
    The gf & i are planning on travelling around South East Asia for around 7-8 weeks.
    We will be flying in from the uk and visiting the usual Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, however not sure where the best place is to start our trip and what route to take from there, our only plans are we would like to finish in Singapore.
    Suggestions and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks

#1 Posted: 23/11/2012 - 07:32

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

There's quite a few suggested itineraries on this site. Suggest you start here to get an overall idea of where to start planning: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

Of course, you may also want to take weather into account to avoid the worst of the rainy season in some areas. There is weather information found for each Country listed on this website - just follow the links at the top. eg Places->Thailand-> Weather.

#2 Posted: 23/11/2012 - 15:41

• buland

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012

you should start from thailand. it is not just cheap but also you will get some beautiful site to see.

#3 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 03:40

• buland

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012

i just forget you to address that if you are willing to visit thailand then you shouldn't miss malaysia & singapore.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 03:43

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

If you're not sure where to start from . . . there is always the option to start AND finish in Singapore. I usually find return flights are significantly cheaper than one-way, and for the long haul that can make a big difference in overall price. You'll probably get a good deal for UK to Singapore, otherwise your best option is probably Bangkok.

I'd personally recommend flying into and out of BKK to do your loop of SE Asia (Thailand up to the north (Chiang Mai)-Northern Laos into Vietnam/Hanoi, down the coast to HCMC - into Cambodia - back via Siem Reap to BKK . . . so long as weather would be accommodating . . . or just reverse that usual loop). At the end of the trip on the way from Cambodia to Thailand you could stop in Ko Chang area for some beach time to relax after the hard moving . . . or from BKK fly to any of the islands that may have better weather or be more your style.

That said -if you are really interested in Singapore or have people to see there, it adds a price to your overall trip.

For flight info I really like: http://www.skyscanner.com/

#5 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 05:14

• buland

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2012

i think your idea is great

#6 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 05:43

• baker77

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Many thanks for all advise guys, the plan why to finish in Singapore is so we can catch a cheap flight to Perth, Australia from.
    To make our planning more difficult, we need to plan around weather as well, as we are planning on setting off from the uk in June, where ive heard is hit and miss around SE Asia.

#7 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 09:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.