Southeast Asia forum

advise for SEA backpacking trip please!

• moniqueshan-
    ae

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2012

Hi guys,

I'm a 21 yr old (f) and I'm travelling through SEA from 27th of dec until the 9th of feb.

My trip has been planned in thailand with a group of friends until the 10th of jan, but I have decided to stay on and backpack around for a bit and I would love some advise for my travels....

I really wanted to do Cambodia Laos and northern Thailand but concerned about cramming too much into the month I have...
    I start in bangkok on the 10th of jan and flight out of chang Mai on the 9th of feb (I have a friend in Chaing Mai I want to visit before I leave)

I was thinking of going from bangkok to cambodia then up through laos before coming back in thailand to Chang Mai....

Another thought I had due to time factor was to just to go north to laos then back into thailand again but I dont want to miss out on cambodia again because I did last time when I was in vietnam

I'm also studying teaching and wanted to do some volunteer work over there... any suggestions?

Any advise would be great :)

#1 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 21:39

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"I was thinking of going from bangkok to cambodia then up through laos before coming back in thailand to Chang Mai...."

I think this is a good idea. A little ambitious, but not insanely so.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 00:08

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Depending on what you want to do - with just a month you could easily fill your time From Vientiane to Chiang Mai with trips out to the Plain of Jars and Mung Ngoi and some hiking in Lam Nan Tha (bring a fleece that way as it can get chilly in the evening) - and with a friend living somewhere that is when you have the best advantage of a place and would be well served with a whole week just stationed there in Chiang Mai to really absorb the place, that's what I did a few years back and did not regret it.

However, if you really want to see Cambodia, the issue is that you need at minimum a week to make it worth while for a detour, at least Siem Reap and PP. You could just dip into Siem Reap if that is what you mean by not wanting to miss Cambodia and catch a flight up to Vientiane if you're willing to garner the expense (or out of PP for that matter and then just speed up your trip through northern Laos) . . because otherwise you are rushing through Southern Laos's wonders just to get up to the north. . . you won't be able to spend much time in 4,000 Islands, Champasak, Pakse and the Bolavan Plateau - to say nothing of Savanakhet.

It is probably better to choose Cambodia and a flight to Vientiane with a quick loop through Luang Prabang-Luang Nam Tha and into northern Thailand OR going directly to Vientiane to take time exploring northern Laos more thoroughly.

#3 Posted: 3/12/2012 - 00:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Backpacking advise ... By bigbum on 10 Nov 2010 5 1082 11 Nov 2010