Southeast Asia forum

First timer Couple travelling through SEA Aug-Dec 2013

• shaunjansen

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2012
    Location Canada

Hey Everyone,

First time on this site. My wife and I are planning a year long trip that will take place primarily in SEA.
    We leave from Toronto, CA to Melbourne, Australia at the end of May. We plan on travelling through Australia throughout June and early July, before heading into SEA.

Our initial itinerary looks like:
    East Timor
    Indonesia
    Malaysia
    Thailand
    Cambodia
    Vietnam
    Laos
    China (no idea where about)
    Into India by Dec - Spending one month in India, one month is Sri Lanka.

We have only just begun, and any and all advice is appreciated. We are figuring out our to-do checklist this coming weekend. Will be using this forum extensively as time goes by.

Thanks in advance for your time

Shaun and Chris-Ann

#1 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 11:02

• Advertisement

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

My personal favourites were Cambodia and Indonesia. The best advice I can give you is that I always found the transport to the destination to be the best (slow boat to Laos, bus/boat to Lombok, trains through Thailand/ Vietnam). These are best for meeting people and give you a chance to see alot.

I really loved scuba diving in Thailand. My only warning is that it's addicting. Very cheap on koh tao but I liked phiphi alot more. Blacktip scuba on long beach is great gives smaller classes.

I'd head north on Indonesia and check some of the coast towns out. There very scenic and really relaxing. I can't remember specific names as it was a while ago.

One last thing is try to rent bikes. That's always been a highlight of my trip.

Enjoy and I hope you get better tips than
    My rambling

#2 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 11:56

• shaunjansen

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2012
    Location Canada

Appreciate you taking the time Brute

#3 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 12:09

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

shaun,

have you been reading the travelfish blogs? you can access them from the main page, along the lower left-hand column. i've been reading them lately and they are a lot of fun, as well as filled with good ideas of where to go, what to see, etc.

the features section similarly has great information on what to see and do in SEA.

for a long trip like yours, i'd say work out your travel insurance and money strategy well in advance. have a general route and itinerary worked out, but don't be too rigid in forming your plans. you may find that you like some places more than you expected and didn't like others as much as you thought you might. research what the weather is usually like in different places at different times of the year and use that to help plan your route. also, pay attention to your visa requirements for each county. many allow 30-day visa exemptions or paid visa on arrival, but not all, and you'll want to be sure you know exactly what is needed for each country so you can sort that in advance or at least know what your next visa need is while on the trip.

finally, don't try to do too much. even with a year to spend, you'll find that the time goes quickly and there is no way you can get to everything you want to do in each country, or even to each country you want to visit. often times less is more, and with the more time you spend in a place, the more of the feel of a location you can pick up as you get used to the customs and even pick up a bit of the language.

have a great time. a year sounds so awesome. i'm eating my heart out. cheers.

#4 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 18:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gay couple travelling to Burma ... By hayles623 on 1 Sep 2013 6 1652 20 Sep 2013
Couple travelling in Thialand ... By kestrell83 on 22 May 2012 7 2463 27 May 2012
Couple Travelling in Veitnam ... By kestrell83 on 22 May 2012 9 2961 9 Jun 2012
Couple travelling Indonesia for x2 weeks advice needed ... By slow_mo on 16 Jan 2013 7 1745 29 Jan 2013