Southeast Asia forum

BKK -Return Date: TBD

• iferr665

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

Hi all,
    I'm 23/M/US planning a trip through SEA starting January 5. I am an avid motorcycle enthusiast and excited for motorbike trips throughout Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. However, I don't have a fixed itinerary yet. I have about $1200/month to live on and I'm seeking recommendations for nice rides and interesting places. What kind of accommodation is available for my budget? I am fond of beer and long walks on the beach and I'm open to travel buddies!

#1 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 00:38

• Advertisement

• Xircal

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

Your budget is a bit tight and there won't be many places you can go with only $38 a day.

I'd suggest you check out Couchsurfing. There are bound to be people with similar interests to yourself who also offer free accommodation: https://www.couchsurfing.org/

#2 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 07:25

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I wouldn't bother with Couchsurfing in Vn as the accommodation is already so cheap.

$1200 a month in Vietnam is plenty. I recently finished a motorbike loop through the Mekong Delta, most hotels I stayed at were under $10 (generally around 150,000 dong), food was generally maybe $10 a day including beers. Petrol inexpensive. We hired the motorbikes, paid 140,000 dong per day.

I've ridden a lot in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand + this bit in Vietnam just now -- if you want to give me more info on interests etc, can make some suggestions.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 07:43

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

there is a parallel thread on the message board right now about living in thailand for 1100 baht a day, which is about what your budget will be. consensus from recent posters is that this is plenty of cash to be modestly comfortable. read it at: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/financemoney/15479_thailand-on-1100b-day---reasonable-

as for places for long rides, one of my favorite places to explore recently has been the thai side of the mekong river from above nong khai all the way down to ubon. it's a charming area that doesn't get many tourists, traffic isn't terrible, and you'll get more value for your money. if you are lucky, you may even be able to ride with MADMAC for a day or two near Mukdahan and get some local insights into the area.

another popular area for extended motorcycle rides starts in pakse, laos and goes through the bolevans plateau. it could also include champasak and wat phu too.

i've also enjoyed scooter riding in northern thailand, with trips up to chiang dao and other spots out of chiang mai. some folks i know have done long loops all the way over to mae hong son and back. it's a long trip, so check weather forecasts before starting out.

finally, we also had a great time exploring samui island by scooter on our last visit. traffic and sandy roads mean it isn't for novice riders, but there is a lot to explore, particularly on the southern end of the island, where there are fewer vehicles on the road. have fun. cheers.

#4 Posted: 30/12/2012 - 09:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.