Southeast Asia forum

Traveller Noob Advice!

• SophieJae

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

Hi all,

I am 23 and have decided I NEED to go travelling! I plan on spending 2013 saving and planning so me and my partner can start our travels in 2014.

We ideally would only like to go for around 3-4 months with a budget of about £5,000 each (providing we can save that this year!). We would like to start in India and head up into Nepal. From Nepal, we will fly to Bangkok and then travel Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. From Cambodia, we would like to catch a flight over to Indonesia or Malaysia (haven't decided yet!) before returning to the UK.

Does £5,000 sound like a realistic amount to do that amount of travelling? I have never done anything like this before so it all seems extremely daunting. I have found what seems to be a good, legitimate tour package company called Gap360 who offer a 15 day trip from Delhi up into Nepal for £850 per person. This includes accomodation and a number of good excursions. I like the idea of these tours as I wouldnt mind having a little structure and guidance, at least for the first 2-4 weeks of our travels. Would you recommend this? I don't know whether we would be able to do something like that off our own back and for less money.

Any initial advice and tips would be much appreciated as I am just at the very start of my planning [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img] Thank you.

#1 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 07:56

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I would normally say that 3 months is a great amont of time to visit Thailand and Indo-China (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia). You could do Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in 6-8 weeks though if you wanted to hit just a couple spots in each country. I've heard that India is best done in a month itself, and then with say 2 weeks in Napal . . . maybe skip on Malaysia and Indonesia this trip and add Laos to your itinerary instead - It is a spectacular country to visit.

As for your budget, you're going to a lot of different spots and my advice is to check them all out on some of the budget suggestion sites you can find through google. That way you can mix and match thoughts on accommodation and tailor your thoughts on spending better than any one here could estimate.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 18:00

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

India, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia in 3-4 months would be way too rushed. I went to India for 3 months and still felt like I'd just scraped the surface. Consider this trip as an intro to world travel and maybe leave some of this for next time. 3-4 months is more appropriate for say just Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam (and Laos!) Malaysia is boring in my opinion except for Borneo which is great for outdoor adventures. A combined India/Nepal trip would be sweet but maybe later(?) and try to do the Nepal bit in April/May before rainy season or Oct/Nov before winter. For this trip if you do SE Asia (Thai/Cam/VT/etc) it's good to have a budget of around 20 quid per day per person although you'll save a bit on your rooms if travelling as a couple.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 06:48

• SophieJae

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

Thank you for the replies.

I think I probably am being a little bit too enthusiastic at the moment! The India to Nepal trip we were thinking of doing is only for 2 weeks, with ALOT of travelling. There is also another 2 week trip from Delhi to Goa which is a little cheaper (with less travel) which we may do instead. As both first time travellers, my boyfriend and I would love to go to India but feel a little overwhelmed as it is such a huge, busy and exciting place to visit - which is why we wanted to just get a little taster with a tour group before we head off to Thailand - where we will be solo!

At the moment - i think we would like to see Thailand and the surrounding areas in about 8 weeks. The last part of our trip to either Malaysia or Indonesia is purely just for relaxation I think. The beaches look amazing, and catching a flight there from Phonm Penh is relatively cheap I beleive?

But thank you for the advice, i will definitely keep this mind.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 07:58

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

The beaches are amazing - enjoy your trip - and post again if you have any location specific questions.

#5 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 08:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.