Southeast Asia forum

Travelling around Thailand / Cambodia etc

• Battydan

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Hi,

Im gathering information to prepare myself for a 3 month trip around some cool parts of SE Asia. Im pretty new to travelling although i did spend 3 weeks in South Thailand last year without exploring elsewere.
    Im going to be travelling alone and i just want some tips on best places to visit for someone like me. Im a 28 year old male, and i enjoy the usual sterotypical things i.e partying and woman, haha. I also enjoy culture and exploring new places. Basically i just need some guidence as i am a small fish in a big big pond.

How much money do you think is enough for 3 months on average?

What is best routes to take?

What is best time of year to travel?

Where are the most livily places with like minded people?

Any do's and dont's?

I will be bery gratfull of any help offered.

Thankyou

Danny.

#1 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 01:41

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Around $USD30/day is a decent daily budget for rooms, food, transport, activities. Conserve on some days, splurge on others. Three months is a good amount of time to do the classic loop, i.e. Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang - Vientiane - Hanoi - HCMC - Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Bangkok. There are advantages and disadvantages to going at any time of year. The best weather is usually November-March but the Xmas/NY season can be really crowded and room prices go up. June-Oct is rainy season but it doesn't usually rain all day and anyway rain takes the edge off the heat and makes everything lush and green. April/May is the hottest and perhaps least desireable time, or at least hit the beaches to stay cooled down as the northern interior can be like an oven at this time. As for Do and Don't use common sense don't get involved with drugs or gangs or cause a scene or get angry. SE Asian folks are generally quite friendly and easy-going but they place a high value on "face" so don't shout or provoke them then they can turn into little monsters. Avoid drunken rave-ups like the full moon party on Ko Phangan, maybe you've read recently a young backpacker was killed by a stray bullet there. It's just a recipe for disaster. Beware of scams such as friendly person on the street inviting you to their house to "play cards" or meet their sister who will be attending school in your country (amazing coincidence!) and don't book all your trip at some dodgy Bangkok travel agent (very common ripoff) take time instead to shop around and get a sense of fair prices, and decide/book/pay as you go from place to place. There are some other basics like don't disrespect the Thai Royal family, don't touch people's heads, no matter how hot it is keep your shirt on except at the beach, don't make out with your girlfriend in public, etc. Happy planning.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 07:13

• Battydan

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Thankyou Captain Bob...

p.s Are you "Captain Bob" who runs a booze cruize on Phi Phi?

#3 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 13:55

• Battydan

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

If so here is a little video clip from Captain Bobs booze cruize in feb 2013, (i am the one with blue cup next to dark skinned woman) -

http://www.facebook.com/callum.gillon/photos_albums#!/photo.php?v=3183907490021&set=vb.1635753746&type=3&theater

#4 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 14:04

• Battydan

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Sorry cant be viewed unless befriended

#5 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 14:09

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

No, there is more than one Captain Bob in this world I guess

#6 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 04:10

• Battydan

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2013

Hahaha was a long shot anyway :-)

#7 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 07:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.