Southeast Asia forum

Purchasing Air tickets - how far in advance?

• Pghtraveller

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2013

I'll be traveling around the region Jan 22 - Apr 3, and I'm wondering how far in advance I need to purchase airline tickets since I'd like to leave some flexibility in my route. Tickets I'm going to purchase:
    Bangkok - Ranong (Happy Air)
    Surat Thani - Chiang Mai (Nok)
    Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang (Lao Air)
    Luang Prabang - Hanoi (Lao Air)
    Hanoi - Hue

Thanks for the help!

#1 Posted: 4/1/2013 - 13:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Of those the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang and Luang Prabang to Hanoi are the ones I'd be booking in advance -- primarily as if you can't get a flight you're really stuck with international borders and slow overland transport to deal with, while if you can't get say the BKK - Ranong one you can just get a bus.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 01:40

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Hi,
    With respect to internal flights in Vietnam, they are really easy to get, so you don't need to worry about that leg of your journey.

Unless you're planning on travelling at an especially busy time (like Tet) you can easily buy a ticket from Hanoi to Hue a couple of days before you fly (although you may have to spend a bit more for your ticket, the cheapest deals being booked far in advance).

For example, I just checked the Vietnam Airlines website, and they have 4 flights running that route tomorrow, with seats available on all of them (and prices from approx 1million dong for the quieter flights (about $50US), to 2million dong for the busiest flight). There may also be other carriers plying that same route, who may be cheaper (haven't researched this in a while).

And as Somtam said, there's still the option of the train or bus available to you, should you decide the flights are too expensive.

Happy travels!

#3 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 05:10

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Agree with the above said, book the flights with Lao Air as soon as possible, since it is a little hard to get there and away. So if these flights are booked out you have to fly on another day.

Concerning your other trips, you can always switch to train or bus. But Luang Prabang is a little tricky.

Enjoy your trip and stay flexible. I still regret to have booked flight and train to Hoi An, I really wanted to stay longer there and I guess Hue might just be the same.

#4 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 10:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Purchasing train tickets ... By Travel1221 on 8 Nov 2009 1 2594 8 Nov 2009
Train tickets in advance ... By Greatdixter on 20 Sep 2011 4 1944 20 Sep 2011
Booking train tickets in advance! ... By ohmytravels on 29 May 2012 2 2416 30 May 2012
Do I need to purchase tickets in advance for weekend fights at Lumpini or Rajadamnern stadium? ... By W_Sobchak on 23 Oct 2010 1 1281 24 Oct 2010