Southeast Asia forum

Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 25 days HELP

• abbyroad

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

Hi! I just booked a spur of the moment ticket to Thailand for about 21 days in Jan/Feb .. I really want to travel through Cambodia,Thailand and Laos. Due to the last minute nature of this trip I have had no time to do any research and would really appreciate some guidance. I will be traveling with one other person. I am wondering what the best route might look like, and what the best way to cross over from Thailand to Laos to Cambodia back to Thailand might look like!.. Preferably I would like to take an overnight but to either Cambodia or Laos the night we arrive and then end in Bangkok where out flight leaves at the end of the trip! Any help would be awesome! Thank you!

#1 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 11:47

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

3 countries in 25 days...minus time for jetlag, minus time getting to and from airport, minus time in between transport (bus, trains, taxi, tuk tuk...planes), minus time getting from said transport to hostel, guesthouse... Not 25 days anymore!
    You will need the better part of a day to get to each destination if it is more than a few hours away. I know it is last minute for you but, dude, you won't see much more than a blur out of your bus window the entire time.
    If you really want to do this - fly. Everywhere.
    I'd advise you to stick to Thailand. Maybe with a quick 'out' to Siem Reap if you wanted to get to Angkor.
    How long is your initial flight? What do you want to do? What is your budget? - this information can help us with the advice.
    But, IMO, way too much and way too little time...

#2 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 17:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I agree with Tyler, but if you MUST see all three, I'd do something like:

Arrive Bangkok, overnight and get a morning flight to Luang Prabang (it's expensive, around 11,000 baht with Bangkok Airways, but given your time frame and you didn't indicate a budget). There are no intentionally overnight buses between Bangkok and Siem Reap.

Luang Prabang 3 days
    Vang Vieng 2 days
    Vientiane 2 days

Fly Vientiane to Phnom Penh with Lao Airlines (around $185)
    3 days Phnom Penh
    3 days Siem Reap
    Overland to Ko Chang (route explained here)
    4 days on Ko Chang or one of the other islands in the group
    1 day Bangkok
    2 days Kanchanaburi then back to Bangkok & exit

If you don't want to fly the above I think you have to drop a country -- if I had to choose I'd drop Laos as Thailand and Cambodia via together well if all you really want to see is Angkor Wat. Plus if you drop Laos it gives you more time to see Thailand, for example Chiang Mai or Sukhothai in the north or any of the islands in the south.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 8/1/2013 - 20:49

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

"There are no intentionally overnight buses between Bangkok and Siem Reap." - That is funny!

#4 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 00:09

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree with Tyler as well - Thailand with a side trip to Angkor Wat.

#5 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 03:20

• abbyroad

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2013

Thanks for the help everyone!

#6 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 01:05

• SoloHobo

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2013

Thailand has a lot to offer, and you should savor all of it, it is a very exotic country on many levels. Add Angkor Wat for 2/3 nights as its as important and amazing area to explore. If you can fly from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap that is an option, but I think you need to connect inn 1-2 cities first..maybe I am wrong-3 countries in 21 days will not give any country justice, especially if budget travel and on ground transport.

#7 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 06:08

• DSawyer

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

OK...My two cents...arrive Bangkok...give yourself 2 days to get your legs under you...on the morning of the third day take the Government bus from Mo Chit station...You'll want to do this trip no later than 5:30 am. You will arrive at the boarder crossing before 10 am or right around that time.Cross Into Cambodia and take a taxi to Siem Reap...you should arrive at about 3-4 pm...I highly recommend the Golden Temple Villa.From there stay around for the full 3 day pass to Angkor and maybe and xtra day to take in the town.The return trip to the boarder is cheaper and mostly hassle free.

Spend a night back in Bangkok and then fly south to Phuket or Krabi ...I did this itinerary two years ago and I had a fantastic time.
    I went sea kayaking with john grey sea canoe,while staying in Kata beach for 2 nights ...went to Phi Phi for a few nights chartered my own fan tail to hit up the neighboring islands.took the ferry to Krabi and stayed at Railey for 4 nights..got to chill, do a little hiking
    laze in the sun and booked a kayak/snorkel trip to Ko Hong(fantastic day). Returned to Bangkok and spent a few more days taking in the city before I flew Home...I had 21 days on the ground...It was fantastic...so with 25 you have a little extra wiggle room
    HAVE FUN!!!

#8 Posted: 13/1/2013 - 22:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos Cambodia and Thailand in 30 Days ... By wormann on 4 Oct 2013 6 652 4 Oct 2013
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4323 20 Mar 2011
Thailand - Burma - Cambodia - Laos possible in 4 days? ... By adammcintyre on 18 Feb 2014 8 606 19 Feb 2014
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 2006 5 Jun 2013
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5418 14 Apr 2010
30 days for Thailand, Laos, Vientnam, Cambodia... Too much? ... By starrchild on 25 Aug 2009 21 6417 28 Aug 2009
Best route Thailand, Laos, Cambodia 65 days ... By marianwarren on 12 Mar 2006 6 2869 13 Mar 2006
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1933 2 Oct 2012