Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

7weeks to do thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam

Posted by ellie1990 on 10/1/2013 at 15:22

Hi I'm travelling with one other person for 7weeks from the end of February, we fly into Bangkok and will have 7weeks to travel all 4countries, we want to visit Buddhist temples, and historical towns around our trip, we also want to visit livelier places , maybe through Vietnam? And the islands off of thailand? We have no idea really on any plans so if someone can give us an idea we would be super grateful , like an itinerary ...and advice on travelling etc ... ! Thankyou!!!

#1 ellie1990 has been a member since 10/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by caseyprich on 10/1/2013 at 17:40

Best to check this out first: http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/ and then return with more specific questions. I'd suggest planning for 2 weeks each country, so that means you're going to really short change at least one. Perhaps cut it to 3 countries. You could get a good trip of Thailand, Laos and Vietnam with 7 weeks and then save Vietnam (which really has a lot to see) for another time.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by ellie1990 on 10/1/2013 at 17:49

Awesome Thankyou for the reply. Yeh we were thinking of maybe just the 2, which country did u say to cut out? Cambodia do you mean? Or Vietnam! Any help at all is welcome! Thankyou

#3 ellie1990 has been a member since 10/1/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by caseyprich on 10/1/2013 at 21:31

Sorry, that was confusing waht I wrote - I meant maybe keep it to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and cut out Vietnam. It is such an expansive and diverse country (of course they all are) that I think it could at minimum need 3-4 weeks to see the three main areas around HCMC/Hue-Hoi'an/Hanoi.

For what you said you like, nothing is more lively than BKK - then maybe head up to Kanchanaburi for history and bars, stop off in Ayutthaya on your way to Sukhothai to see the ruins and then dilly-dally about Chiang Mai and the north for a little over a week. Finally head through Chiang Rai to Huay Xia to take the slow boat down to Luang Prabang-Vang Vieng- Vientiane (2 weeks) with side excursions to Nong Kiaow/Mung Ngoi from Luang Prabang. Depending on what your schedule has left - fly from Vientiane to PP in Cambodia and hit some beaches there and Angkor Wat before heading back into Thailand overland from Siem Reap and getting to know a little of the Thai island feel in Ko Chang OR go overland via bus to Pakse to take a Bolavan Plateau bike ride and hit 4,000 islands before entering Cambodia overland.

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 11/1/2013 at 11:20

In seven weeks you could hit many popular destinations on the classic SE Asia circuit: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane, Hanoi, Hoi An, Nha Trang, HCMC, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and do a couple Thailand beaches at the end. However you would be on the move every couple days and you might fall in love with some place/person along the way or otherwise be swayed by new experiences, etc. so it's good to leave some flexibility in your plan. As for travel forums like this you will get much better answers if you ask more specific questions.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,871

Posted by DSawyer on 11/1/2013 at 15:54

Captain Bob is correct...you can pretty much hit up all the major spots.I think doing a counter clockwise trip is best.Starting in Bangkok
to Siem Reap to Phnom Penh to HCMC up the coast of Vietnam to Halong Bay fly over to Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai from there fly to Krabi to explore the Andaman islands fly back to Bangkok ...go home.Obviously you can fill in lots of excursions as you see fit...but 7 weeks is more than enough.

#6 DSawyer has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 48

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.