Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary Help needed August - November - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia

• shaunjansen

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2012
    Location Canada

Hey everyone,

Been trying to rack my brains around a proper itinerary for SEA during the wet season. I was hoping someone with experience can help me out. My wife and I are travelling Aug-Nov in SEA, we know it's wet season, and are hoping to see as much as we can, while avoiding getting caught up in the worst of it.

From everything I have been reading I know this much
    1) It tends to rain for short periods of time (in the afternoon or overnight) rather than all day, although there may be a wet week here and there
    2) SEA experiences various degrees of wetness depending where you are and when
    3) Certain places, like Angor Watt, are more beautiful and lust in the wet season
    4) Costs are lower
    5)Less tourists
    6) Risks of landslides,slower transport, chances of certain places being washed out or inaccessible
    7)November is back to dry(or dryer) season and gorgeous in many areas
    8) We will need a good rain coat, and waterproof covering for our backpacks

Can anyone suggest a route for us to take, perhaps some good accommodations ($6-$10) range, or some great deals to look out for in particular as we go through the region?

We are looking forward to seeing historical and cultural sites/ eating as much of the local food as we can/ partying here and there/ beach time/ taking part in cultural festivals if any/ we love adventure and aren't afraid to stay off the beaten track

Thailand and Cambodia are off particular interest to us - followed by Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia

We have a $40/day budget

Hope this helps you, help us, we really need it and are thankful for any help you can send our way.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 09:41

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

So you've got four months -- August & September see good weather (in the least) on Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao in Thailand, the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia and Bali/Lombok in Indonesia. October is middling and by November both of southern Thailand, Laos and Cambodia will be shining while parts of Vietnam will be getting wet. So it needn't be a wet trip throughout :)

So, broad strokes you could do something like:

* Fly into Bali: 2 weeks: Bali/Java (beaches, culture, history)

* Fly out of Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur (I know you didn't specify Malaysia, but it fits in well) and head over to the east coast islands - Perhentians perhaps, say one week all up taking you to late August. If Malaysia doesn't appeal at all, look at flying something like Jakarta -> KL ->Surat Thani and going to Thailand's east coast islands.

* Back to KL, fly to Bangkok. coupla days there, then overland north via Ayutthaya and Sukhothai to Chiang Mai then head to perhaps Chiang Dao or Pai for a bit of trekking then overland to the Lao border Huay Xai - allow 2-3 weeks for this taking you to mid to late October.

* Cross into Laos, slow boat to Luang Prabang then Vang Vieng then Vientiane then Tha Khaek (for Kong Lo loop) then 4,000 islands then to Cambodian border. Allow 3 weeks for this. So middle of Nov.

* overland straight to Phnom Penh then south to Sihanoukville then to the islands (just pick one as there are quite a few - you can read about them here) then back to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap for Angkor Wat then overland back to Bangkok for flight home. Allow two weeks - end of Nov.

Wait, I forgot Vietnam! ;-)

To fit Vn in I'd suggest ditching Malaysia but that only gives you a loose week - you could conceivably overland from Phnom Penh for a taste of the south around Ho Chi Minh City ... time runs out quick doesn't it!

Further reading
    Stops between Bangkok and ChiangMai
    ChiangDao getaway
    Trekking in Thailand
    Elephant trekking in Laos

And here is a sample regional itinerary
    and there are a bunch of other ones linked to on that page - may be useful.

For budget flights see Air Asia, Tiger Airways, Nok Air and Jetstar -- all can be quite affordable if booked well in advance.

Cheers - more questions, ask away.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 19:39

• shaunjansen

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2012
    Location Canada

Thank you so much. I've seen your posts in other threads as well, and they have helped us get through many other details. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

This itinerary is a great starting point for us. A few more details that might help iron things out.

This is part of a year long trek. And we will be coming in from Australia (likely via Perth) into SEA.

- What tends to be the cheapest gateway into SEA from Aussie? And are there any specifics tips to getting a cheap flight in?
    - This will likely determine the starting point of our trek. Indonesia does sound like a great way to start though.

We certainly want to see (and eat our way through) Malaysia. I forgot to mention it, and would like to see Singapore for a few nights too.
    We fly out of KL to India (Kochi) on Dec 4th. This was determined last night as Air Asia is having a great sale right now.

- Any insights into adjusting the itinerary so that we end in Malaysia?

We plan on spending Christmas and New Year in India, and Feb in Sri Lanka.

Thank you!

#3 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 09:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
itinerary feedback needed-Burma, Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia (and more!) ... By fernwood on 5 Sep 2013 4 1389 7 Sep 2013
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 20110 6 Mar 2011
November Itinerary Help- Vietnam, Laos? Thailand ... By sansucci on 22 Oct 2011 0 2115 22 Oct 2011
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3226 31 Oct 2010
North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - English 31/F - October & November ... By katiepeeps on 17 Aug 2012 2 1364 18 Aug 2012
Itinerary Thailand - Laos - North Vietnam - Help needed with Dien Bien Phu ... By Lawoat on 23 Aug 2010 7 3802 25 Aug 2010
2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam AND Indonesia ... By mar571 on 9 Nov 2010 15 9734 25 Nov 2010
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia August - September - 36/m solo ... By Trainsmash on 17 Jul 2012 0 1386 17 Jul 2012
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia Sept 2012 ... By RC2012 on 5 Apr 2012 4 6822 6 Apr 2012
38/F - travelling to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (and possibly Indonesia) from Jan 2012 ... By michele1273 on 2 Nov 2011 9 3023 14 Jan 2012