Southeast Asia forum

Banking options for South Africans

• Cloudcatcher

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

Hi. I'm going to be backpacking in SEA for about 6 months, and I'm trying to work out what my best banking options are. All of the South African banks that I've spoken to have been a bit clueless about that part of the world, and I know from living in Korea that South African bank cards (despite promises to the contrary) are not well recieved in Asia. Any suggestions from South Africans? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 04:23

• Advertisement

• Muggles01

Joined Travelfish
    15th July, 2011

Hi Cloudcatcher
    I've travelled in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Bali (although only short holidays each time) and didn't have any problems with my bank cards being accepted at ATMs. The only strange thing I did experience was in Cambodia and Laos - if I tried to draw money before about midday, the transaction was declined. A friend of mine experienced the same thing and we put it down to the banks in SA still being asleep (it would have been night time back home)! If I went back later the same day, I could draw no problem.

Just take note of whether or not the ATMs are saswitch machines (accept mastro/cirrus/visa/mastercard) as not all of them are. And also be aware of any daily limit you might have on your card back home - that generally will still apply overseas. Oh and it doesn't hurt to phone your bank and let them know you'll be travelling and give them your dates.

#2 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 07:03

• Cloudcatcher

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2013

Hi Muggles01

Thanks for the advice. That's good to know.

For longer stays would you (or anyone else) recommend:

1) Having an SA bank card, or something like American Express (in terms of both bank charges and convenience)
    2) Are SA bank cards (credit or debit) ok for making hostel bookings while there?
    3) Are any of the banks here preferable to one another?

Thanks!

#3 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 09:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Fly south of Thailand to Chiang Mai, options? ... By Sampan on 19 Sep 2010 2 1689 20 Sep 2010