Southeast Asia forum

56 days in Southeast Asia- Need help planning

• david13451

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

I'm flying into Bankgok at the beginning of May and out of Hanoi at the end of June.

I was hoping to get through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ,but am quickly realizing that this may be overly ambitious.

Any advice on a experiencing the region in my 56 day time frame? The only solidified parts of my trip are the flights (I can no longer change those).

I was initially thinking of spending 2 weeks in Thailand, 10 days in Laos, 10 days in Cambodia and 2 weeks in Vietnam (in that order) although I think this might require too much travel time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#1 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Maybe cut Laos and do 3 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Cambodia and 3 weeks Vietnam.

Laos is lovely but everything is slow there so in your limited time (although 8 weeks is certainly adequate!) it may be best to avoid it. That way you can venture a bit more off the beaten path in a way you couldn't otherwise. For example 2 weeks in Vietnam is only enough for Saigon and the North (Hanoi, Sapa, HB) whereas in 3 weeks you could also go to Hue and Hoi An. Similarly 10 days in Laos is only enough for LP, VV and Vientiane (and that's at a push).

#2 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 10:41

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've done a modest-paced trip through Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in 8 weeks, so it can be done. Normally I'd recommend saving Vietnam for a later trip, but since you are flying out of Hanoi, that isn't really an option.

What to include and what to skip depends on what you want to see and do as much as anything else. If you really want to see northern Thailand, for example, then popping over to Laos from there makes sense. But if you are skipping northern Thailand, then moving east through Cambodia is a good choice. The best way to save time on your journey, if you try to include all 4 countries, might be to fly from Vientiane, Laos directly to Siem Reap, Cambodia. If you did that, you could spend two to three weeks in Thailand, 10 days in Laos, a week in Cambodia visiting Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh, then the rest of the time in Vietnam. You could work in beach time in Thailand before you head north, and again in Vietnam at the end of your trip, if the beach appeals to you.

But again, your personal "must see" list will be your best guide on how to set up the itinerary. Have fun. Cheers.

#3 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 13:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
16 days to travel Southeast Asia- Itinerary HELP? ... By kelcatalina on 4 Apr 2012 3 3007 4 Apr 2012