Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

56 days in Southeast Asia- Need help planning

Posted by david13451 on 21/1/2013 at 09:43

I'm flying into Bankgok at the beginning of May and out of Hanoi at the end of June.

I was hoping to get through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam ,but am quickly realizing that this may be overly ambitious.

Any advice on a experiencing the region in my 56 day time frame? The only solidified parts of my trip are the flights (I can no longer change those).

I was initially thinking of spending 2 weeks in Thailand, 10 days in Laos, 10 days in Cambodia and 2 weeks in Vietnam (in that order) although I think this might require too much travel time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

#1 david13451 has been a member since 21/1/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by chinarocks on 21/1/2013 at 10:41

Maybe cut Laos and do 3 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Cambodia and 3 weeks Vietnam.

Laos is lovely but everything is slow there so in your limited time (although 8 weeks is certainly adequate!) it may be best to avoid it. That way you can venture a bit more off the beaten path in a way you couldn't otherwise. For example 2 weeks in Vietnam is only enough for Saigon and the North (Hanoi, Sapa, HB) whereas in 3 weeks you could also go to Hue and Hoi An. Similarly 10 days in Laos is only enough for LP, VV and Vientiane (and that's at a push).

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by exacto on 21/1/2013 at 13:15

I've done a modest-paced trip through Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia in 8 weeks, so it can be done. Normally I'd recommend saving Vietnam for a later trip, but since you are flying out of Hanoi, that isn't really an option.

What to include and what to skip depends on what you want to see and do as much as anything else. If you really want to see northern Thailand, for example, then popping over to Laos from there makes sense. But if you are skipping northern Thailand, then moving east through Cambodia is a good choice. The best way to save time on your journey, if you try to include all 4 countries, might be to fly from Vientiane, Laos directly to Siem Reap, Cambodia. If you did that, you could spend two to three weeks in Thailand, 10 days in Laos, a week in Cambodia visiting Angkor Wat and Phnom Penh, then the rest of the time in Vietnam. You could work in beach time in Thailand before you head north, and again in Vietnam at the end of your trip, if the beach appeals to you.

But again, your personal "must see" list will be your best guide on how to set up the itinerary. Have fun. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.