Southeast Asia forum

Currently travelling.. but advice needed!

• HollyN

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

Hello!

Me and my friend have been travelling for almost 3 months now, we have been to Indonesia and are nearing the end of our trip in the Philippines! We are now a bit stuck planning the next past of our journey. We still want to travel Thailand/ Islands/ Cambodia/ Vietnam/ Laos.. however we have a trip booked and paid for on the 21st Feb in Malaysia for 1 week so we need to fit around the flights for that. So we have from now until 21st Feb, then a 7 day side trip.. then after the trip we have almost 4 weeks before we head to Australia.

So we don't knnow if its best to to Thailand islands until the 21st Feb, then do the trip, then contunie afterwards to go on to Cambodia ect ways.. or to do it the other way round? Or even Cambodia.. then the islands.. then the trip.. and then after the trip Vietnam/ Laos.
    Any advice would be great. Even if a certian route is just better for visa options, or time scales.

Thank you to anyone who can help

Holly

#1 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 04:06

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

So you've got about 3.5 weeks, then a set week in Malaysia then four weeks then Oz.

My advice would be fly to Bangkok head south for your island jaunt then onto Malaysia (I'm assuming it is on Peninsular Malaysia!) after the trip, head back to KL fly to Siem Reap and then do your four week Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos trip.

Note that is a LOT of ground to cover in four weeks and I'd be inclined to either ditch Vietnam or decide just to cover one portion of it as you'll run out of time fast -- especially if you plan on going to the Cambodian islands which will eat up at least a week.

Further reading:
    Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam sample itinerary
    5-6 weeks in the region (ignore the Thailand bit of this itinerary)
    Cambodian islands
    How to enjoy your time in Vietnam

Cheers!

#2 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 19:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling Advice Needed! ... By LukeB on 15 Aug 2012 6 2202 26 Aug 2012
Couple travelling Indonesia for x2 weeks advice needed ... By slow_mo on 16 Jan 2013 7 1520 29 Jan 2013