Southeast Asia forum

7 Week Itinerary Southeast asia

• backpacker27

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Hi there,

I'm planning on going to Southeast asia for 7 weeks in May/June. I am flying into Vietnam ( Hanoi ). Here's my itinerary. I was just wondering if you guys think this is too cramped, if it is possible? Also I planned to bring 3000 CDN with me, although I don't mind going over that in credit, just wondering if you guys think I'll spend more than 3000? Here's my itinerary!

Arrive in Hanoi April 29th
    April 29/30 - Hanoi
    May 1 - Halong Bay Tour
    May 2 - Travel from Hanoi to Hoi An
    May 3/4 - Hoi An
    May 5 - Travel from Hoi An to Nha Trang
    May 6/7/8- Nha Trang
    May 9 - Travel from Nha Trang to HCMC
    May 10/11 - HCMC
    May 12 - Travel from HCMC to Phnom Penh
    May 13 - Phnom Penh
    May 14 - Travel from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukeville
    May 15/16/17 - Sihanoukeville
    May 18 - Travel from Sihanoukeville to Siem Reap
    May 19 - Siem Reap
    May 20 Travel from Siem Reap to Bangkok
    May 21 - Bangkok
    May 22 Travel from Bangkok to Koh Phangan
    May 23/24/25/26 - Koh Phangan [FMP May 25]
    May 27 - Travel from Koh Phangan to Koh Phi Phi
    May 28/29/30/31 - Koh Phi Phi
    June 1 - Travel from Koh Phi Phi to BKK [flight]
    June 2 - Bangkok
    June 3 - Travel from BKK to Chiang Mai
    June 4/5/6 - Chiang Mai
    June 7 - Travel from Chiang Mai to Vang Vieng
    June 8/9/10 - Vang Vieng
    June 11 - Leave Vang Vieng for Hanoi @ 6 PM
    June 12 - Arrive Hanoi midnight
    June 14 - Leave Hanoi 11:55 PM

I'd also love to go to Luang Prabang in Laos, but I can't see how I'd fit it in unless I fly from Laos to Vietnam at the end, which I don't have the money for!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 14:52

• Advertisement

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, that's one busy schedule! It depends on how you plan to travel between each place and what you do when you get there and what sort of accommodation you plan to rest your weary head in. In Vietnam on a tight budget your accommodation spend would probably average about $12 per night, food you could do on as little as $10, if you hire a bike you are looking at an extra $5 per day plus fuel (or a Dollar for a push bike), so without bus, train, entrance fees, etc your daily spend would average $25 a day. Cambodia would be similar, Thailand is rather a lot more.
    If you wanted to free up a few days (in the Vietnam bit) Nha Trang might be worth a little more research - the beaches are not great, but it is a party town (I notice you are doing the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan so I'll let you make your own mind up), Hoi An has some beautiful beaches and you might want to look in to a night camping on the Cham Islands which with a good crowd is pretty amazing - beach bonfires, phosphorescent tides and deserted white sandy beaches with great snorkeling.
    Might be worth checking out the weather down in Sihanoukville (you could travel from HCMC to Ha Tien, straight down to Sihanoukville, then stop off in Phnom Penh on the way to Siem Reap ) and maybe give yourself a few days in Siem Reap (especially if you are doing the temples).
    If you plan to do most of the traveling by bus in VN and Cambodia it takes a long time to cover the distance - average it at 30kms per hour and you'll be about right. Its possible to get flights from Da Nang (nr Hoi An) down to HCMC for $25 if you missed out Nha Trang and knock another 14 hours off your travel time which would free up 5 days and cost about the same as your bus (Hoi An - Nha Trang $14. Nha Trang - HCMC $12).
    I hope this helps!

#2 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 19:45

• backpacker27

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2013

Thanks for the advice! Yes I plan on doing mostly busses and trains and have no problem with doing the night trains and busses to free up time and hostel costs. One exception is a flight deal I got from Surat Thani to Bangkok. I do want to go to Nha Trang as my friend recommended it for the boat cruises around the islands which sounds like fun and I am 21 and do want to spend some time in party towns, but maybe ill shorten my time there and add time on Hoi An .. This camping is off of Hoi An I'm assuming? That sounds like something I'd want to do! I plan on staying in budget accommodation and trying to walk as much as possible and I love riding bike, so I'd probably do that as much as possible! Sounds like I will be able to stay on my 3000 CDN budget. Thanks for letting me know I could go straight down to Sihanoukeville, I had no idea! I'm just hoping I can stay on track with this schedule, I like to keep busy so I'm hoping it all works out.

Thanks for your advice!

#3 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 21:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3612 25 May 2011
SouthEast Asia itinerary ... By Heather on 13 Jun 2006 1 4054 13 Jun 2006
Southeast Asia itinerary advise ... By dknee on 13 Feb 2011 4 3275 19 Feb 2011
16 days to travel Southeast Asia- Itinerary HELP? ... By kelcatalina on 4 Apr 2012 3 3521 4 Apr 2012
Southeast Asia itinerary advice and Vietnam visa ... By Pete03 on 28 May 2013 2 1448 1 Jun 2013
SE Asia - 5 Week Itinerary ... By AWard9 on 7 May 2013 4 3249 10 May 2013
6 week SE Asia itinerary ... By hrosem on 30 Apr 2013 7 5086 7 May 2013
SE Asia - 8 Week Itinerary (First Time Visitor) ... By travelingalpaca on 3 Apr 2013 1 1541 3 Apr 2013
3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed ... By randy_from_canada on 8 May 2008 2 3525 15 May 2008