Southeast Asia forum

Itinerary for a new solo-Backpacker

• Caceres

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2012

Hi I'm trying to plan my first solo-backpacking trip about 2-3months long ( or as long as money will allow) and would greatly appreciate any advice/info
    I've never been to se Asia but hear its a great place to start solo traveling, I'm looking for this to be more of an cultural experience than a drunken memorie, lol
    Sry about any miss- spelling, I'm very bad at that... Lol

I'm curious about:
    1) how much the trip would cost ( not including airfare, visa, vaccinations)

2) how to communicate? (I only speak English)
    3) any good meaty food? ( I'm going to try an eat outside my comfort lv but I'm not bigg on veggies...)
    4) I want to take a boat down the Mekong rv. We're is the best place to do that?

5) what are some MUST TRY food dishes?
    6) what are some must see places?

So I'm not sure if this rout even works, but this was my idea

THAILAND, LAOS, CAMBODIA

---THAILAND---
    1)Bangkok-ayutthaya
    2) Ayutthaya-lopburi
    3) lopburi- phitsanulok
    4) phitsanulok- sukhothai
    5) sukhothai- lampang
    6) lampang- nan
    7) nan-Chiang rai
    8 ) Chiang rai- Chiang khong
    9)---LAOS---
    10) pakbeng- Louangphrabang
    11) Louangphrabang- vang vieng
    12) vang vieng- Vientiane
    13) Vientiane- tha khaek
    14) tha khaek- savannakhet
    15) savannakhet- pakse
    16) pakse- don khon
    17)---CAMBODIA---
    18) ban lung-kratie
    19) kratie- kompong Cham
    20) kompong Cham- phnom penh
    21) Phnom Penh- Battambang
    22) Battambang- Siem reap
    23) Siem rep- sisophon
    24) sisophon- poipet
    25) back to Bangkok, Thailand maybe do some island an beach time?
    How does this look? Am I trying to see too much?

#1 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 17:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

That's a very typical route with the exception of skipping Chiang Mai in northern Thailand and you could comfortably cover that in three months.

1) How much would it cost? Ahhhh difficult to say as it depends on your budget! $40-50 a day would be plenty for a budget trip -- could go lower if you were careful with your money, but you do have quite a bit of travel in there which will fill out your costs a bit.

2) In most of the tourist centre you'll be fine with English a smile and a willingness to use sign language if need be!

3) Lots!

4) The boat trip is covered in the Huay Xai to Luang Prabang portion of your trip.

5&6) Take a bit of a look through the site -- lots of info to answer these two :)

Cheers

#2 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 22:27

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

English is good for the tourist areas yes, but if you want a cultural experience toy well be going outside the tourist areas for the most part, and your definition of cultural experience. I always try and pick up and learn language of whatever country I'm in as most of the time I'm off the beaten track. A simple English to (country) dictionary is fine and hand signals as you build your vocabulary.

#3 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 07:16

• Caceres

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2012

thank you guys, im going to start working on my sign language. and i must say this forum has helped me plan my trip greatly :)
    any other advice on living like a local/native in SE asia? living like a local is my idea of a great trip/ cultural experience.

#4 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 18:50

• Rita_Z

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

When do you get to Bangkok? i am looking at pretty much the same route, but also want to see Vietnam then back to Thailand for a few islands. I fly into Bangkok on the 19th April..maybe our dates match?

#5 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 16:52

• Rita_Z

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

When do you get to Bangkok? i am looking at pretty much the same route, but also want to see Vietnam then back to Thailand for a few islands. I fly into Bangkok on the 19th April..maybe our dates match?

#6 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 16:53

• SeemaSEA2013

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2013

Hey Rita,

Let me know what your dates are, Im travelling then too

seema

#7 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 20:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
First time solo backpacker in SEA ?? ... By Intrepid82 on 29 Jul 2009 2 4718 29 Jul 2009
21 Year Old Solo Backpacker Thailand Advice ... By dbryant7 on 27 Apr 2010 5 7870 2 Jun 2010
19/m/UK solo backpacker looking for buddies - Oct 2012 onwards ... By jenko on 7 Sep 2012 2 1007 8 Sep 2012
28/m/london 6 month solo backpacker landing in BKK 5th Nov... ... By finchi on 16 Oct 2012 4 885 24 Oct 2012