Southeast Asia forum

3 weeks SE Asia Trip in August 2013: Advice, Help!

• libbyeab

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2013

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are last-year law students really wanting to do a S.E.A trip after we take our big Bar exam in July here in Miami, Fla. We have traveled abroad before, but neither of us have ever been to Asia. We plan on spending about 3 weeks on our trip total (including any flying/travel time to get there). We do not know if or when we will ever get an opportunity like this again, so we want to make the most of our trip. Planning is key!

There are so many places to see and things to do, so we are a little overwhelmed of where to start. The more we read, the more we want to see. We will be traveling on a student budget, so staying on our planned $2500-$2800/person budget is key for us. Is this a reasonable cost? We are not locked in to any particular place: any country/countries will do! The point is to experience the culture and way of life over there plus seeing some of the *big sights*!

It is really important to us that we stay on budget: right now, the cheapest flights from Miami are ranging between $1400-$1800 depending on where you go. I'm monitoring daily to try to see if I can catch a good deal, but we'd like to at least get our location solidified somewhat soon so we can concentrate on what we really want to see.

A possible itinerary we were thinking was to incorporate some of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.

If we went with this plan, we would *ideally* want to see FOUR main places:
    1. Ho Chi Minh city
    2. Ankor Wat
    3. A beach in Thailand (maybe the Full Moon party? If that is possible. . . .)
    4. Bangkok

Is this too much to cram in? We are concerned about the monsoon season, too, for these countries. Although we are used to lots of rough rain here in Miami during hurricane season, would it ruin our trip if we went to these places during August?

Alternatively, we have also thought about going to Indonesia, as my Dad grew up near Jakarta and it would be neat to see some of his old stomping grounds plus some awesome beaches. The Philippines is another option. There are just so many places; we don't know how exactly to narrow it down. PLEASE HELP by giving us some advice!

So the basic question is . . . if YOU ONLY had THREE WEEKS to see anywhere in Southeast Asia in AUGUST, where would you go and what would you do with a BUDGET of $2500-$2800/person?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any advice you can give.

-Libby

#1 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 18:14

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I suppose it could be done, but I discourage you from trying to see Bangkok on that trip. Bangkok could be a trip by itself, but has little in common with poor Indochina. HCMC is hardly the best of Vietnam, in my opinion.

I would encourage you to rethink that itinerary - see more of Vietnam itself, a most fascinating country with the most outgoing and friendly natives I have ever met. August means hot and wet weather - add a week or 3 to enjoy it even more.

#2 Posted: 8/2/2013 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travelling SE-Asia August 2013 ... By itraveler on 17 Jun 2013 3 962 19 Jun 2013
Trip recommendations!! 3 weeks in august ... By farkkraf on 17 Jan 2013 5 1416 18 Jan 2013
End July/August trip advice please. ... By deencitychick on 21 Jun 2010 3 3362 22 Jun 2010
Traveling SEA for approximately 5 weeks July-August 2014. Looking for advice :) ... By dupree on 3 Apr 2014 37 2065 23 May 2014
SE Asia trip for 4 weeks... help please! ... By jijerton on 16 Jul 2012 5 2469 17 Jul 2012
SE Asia trip from USA (8 weeks) ... By azizi on 15 Nov 2010 2 2377 3 Dec 2010
Advice 4 weeks in South East Asia ... By system243trd on 30 Sep 2013 8 964 30 Sep 2013
4 Weeks in SE Asia starting in Hanoi - Need Advice ... By eatinginhanoi on 22 Oct 2009 3 2522 25 Oct 2009
5 Weeks in SE Asia with a 4 yr old - advice/thoughts on itinerary please! ... By ZPeppiatt on 12 Apr 2010 9 3506 24 Apr 2010
6 weeks volunteer trip in SE Asia? ... By TraveltoTeach on 11 Dec 2012 0 1499 11 Dec 2012