Southeast Asia forum

please help me on some advice on what way to go

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

hi me and my gf are planning a trip to s,e,a for 5 months from october and i would like some advice on how much things are going to cost and also the best idias on where to go as im thinking of starting in malaysia but i want to go to vietnam cambodia laos and thailand and just wonderd if anybody else has done this trip and if so what order they done it in? and if u got the train bus flight or boat etc be very grateful if somebody got back to me with some info thanks

#1 Posted: 16/2/2013 - 05:30

• Advertisement

• asiamastert-
    rave

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Im Claudia , for real Im working in tourism agency , I was organizing package tour for a lot of people traveling from Vietnam to Cambodia , Lao , Myanmar ,Thailan ,China .If you want any information or any recomendante I can help you also cause Im a guide tour for so long and I also know where are the most beautiful place tourist often go (well ,it is not only my point of view ,also I take it from the traveler ^_^!!).If you dont mind can contact with me by email : asiamastertravel@gmail.com

my facebook : https://www.facebook.com/cvuthi

Hope that can help you !!

#2 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 01:28

• squaretheci-
    rcle

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011
    Total reviews: 5

The OP is so general that it's obvious you've done no research on this. Millions of people - from $10 a day backpackers to extravagant "bottles and models" jethoppers - have done this trip, and there are many different choices on how to do it. This site has a ton of information.

It also depends on your style of travel. My recommendation is to make sure you have sufficient money and extra for the time you plan to travel, and simply fly to your first destination. Plan out a first guesthouse or hotel (Travelfish has good listings), perhaps contact them to make sure you'll have a place, and do research about how to go there from the airport. This is important because there are always hawkers at airports who know how to spot and rip off the newly arrived person with no plan. Stay there for a few days and you'll meet people who will recommend how to proceed from there. That's the way I like to move around - others prefer to plan out their vacations down to the day, but this takes the fun and randomness out of it. You already have a general idea of where you want to go, so just fly to Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and go from there...

I spent around US$1000 total per month in Laos and Thailand, but that included a lot of drinks for other people, gifts, donations, and a couple of larger purchases such as phones and a "guided trek". You could probably do it for 3-400 a month per person if you stick around in places longer and aren't drinking, but that might not be as fun.

#3 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 05:13

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi meacham,

as square suggests, you'll want to do some research on your own to figure out what spots you'll want to visit. a good plan is to sketch out a basic generally itinerary and then begin to fill in the details as you go along. unless you are travelling over a major local holiday, it usually isn't necessary to book accommodation ahead of time, and many of the more charming backpacker places don't accept reservations anyway. same goes when travelling by bus, but domestic flights and overnight train trips often require booking in advance.

two things to consider when planning your route are weather and visas. have a look at what the typical weather patterns are where you want to go and pick a route that gives you the best weather you can find. there is rainy season everywhere in southeast asia, but it isn't in the same places at the same time, so a little planning will make a big difference for you. same goes for visas. for example, people from most western countries get a 30-day visa exemption when they arrive by air in thailand, but only 15 days when arriving overland. you'll want to know and plan for that. laos and cambodia have 30-day visa on arrival, if i remember correctly, but you'll pay in the USD 30 range each for those. i've never been to vietnam, but i think those need to be arranged in advance. you could do that before you leave home or on the fly in thailand or cambodia, for example.

finally, i usually spend between USD 35 and 50 per day when i travel in southeast asia, but that is at a very comfortable flashpacker level. you could do it for less as square mentions above - plus i assume you'll be saving some money on shared accommodation with your travel mate.

anyway, i hope this information is useful and helps get you started on pulling together a general plan. have a great time. cheers.

#4 Posted: 17/2/2013 - 11:05

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

yes thank you very much both of you for ur advice i am currently saveing and i plan to allow myself £1000 a month we are thinking of starting our trip in bali flying over to indonesia/ malaysia, then makeing ourway to vietnam down to cambodia up through laos then chagmai thailand where i have been before i caught the night train from bangkok, that is what we will do from chang mai down to bangkok then from there make our way to puket and krabi and do all the islands around there, i was wondering how easy it is to book flights between these plcaes as i am traveling? as i think that the plan would be to get to bali and take it from there? what u think i was thinking of haveing 2 weeks in bali as a chill out, i dont really have much idia about bali and if it is expensive or not and the same goes for indonesia is it expensive? i no that thiland is cheap as i went there last year for 3 weeks so i no what to expect there i never been to the other places have any of you? thanks for replying to me ny the way

#5 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 06:47

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

maybe iv gone the wrong way of route any advice on routes to take?

#6 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 06:49

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

also iv been thinking maybe its a good idia to travel from bali to bangkok from bangkok to cambodia from there to vietnam from there to laos from there to chang mai from there back to bangkok from there to phuket and krabi?? what u think

#7 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 08:05

• meacham

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2013

thats some usefull information thank you so much i plan on flying from the uk in october geting to bali having 2 weeks there then on the 15th of november fly from bali to bangkokm from here im thinking of going from there to cambodia then vietnam the laos then chang mai then bangkok again then krabi, i dont no the best route to start from bangkok to cambodia shall i go by land is it cheaper? also would like some advice on what is the best place to spend christmas and new year in?

#8 Posted: 2/3/2013 - 09:04

• lazybus

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2013

Hello, I highly recommend Taiwan for first time travelers to Southeast Asia!
    Me and my friend we made a new Facebook page about fun things to do in Taiwan, you can go check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/LazyBusTours

#9 Posted: 16/4/2013 - 11:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.