Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

China to Thailand on Langkan/Mekong River

Posted by geezer on 22/2/2013 at 15:47

Last time in Thailand, I met a family with three kids (Chinese-Canadian I think) who had traveled by boat from china, landing in Chiang Sean. Is it possible for a U. S. citizen to enter Thailand there?

#1 geezer has been a member since 5/12/2008. Posts: 7

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/2/2013 at 10:29

I did this route on a cargo boat back in 2005 from Jinghong to Chiang Saen. It's a valid entry point for Thailand but boat travel for tourists has since become more restrictive. Ask the folks at Mei Mei Cafe in Jinghong - a fount of travel knowledge.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by LannaCountryBoy on 26/2/2013 at 08:47

Yes, any US citizen can travel by boat from Guanlei, Yunnan to Chiang Saen, Chiang Rai. There are some newer cruises operating after the river becomes peaceful again with the joint petrol from China, Myanmar, Laos and Thailand.

#3 LannaCountryBoy has been a member since 16/9/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by geezer on 15/3/2013 at 14:50

Thanks for the advise. Mei Mei Cafe didn't respond at either of two addresses, but I think I can go with what I have.

#4 geezer has been a member since 5/12/2008. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.