Southeast Asia forum

3 months travel S.E Asia

• Rachel2612

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

Hey, I'm after some advice as my friend and I are both going travelling in May 2013.We are both female (21 and 26- both first time travellers) we have our flights booked for bangkok and are staying for 4 nights then move down towards the islands.
    My question is would it be better to travel back up to bangkok after the islands to cross over into a neighbouring country or is there a different route we could take? We are wanting to travel thailand, cambodia, laos and vietnam. We would be flying back to the uk from bangkok so would like to do some kind of loop. Which way would be better in regards to weather? We are spending 30 days in thailand then are open to do whatever.
    Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 23/2/2013 - 06:39

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

You'll need to go back through Bangkok to head to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. May is wet season across much of the region so you will get some rain regardless of where you go.

How long do you have overall? You mention 30 days for Thailand only?

#2 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 19:04

• Rachel2612

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2013

Thanks for the reply.
    We are going for 3 months overall.. So want to visit thailand, cambodia, laos and vietnam.
    I've done a bit of research but was unsure of which route to take. We definately want to do some island hopping and see Ankor wat/ go along Halong bay.
    Which route would you suggest baring in mind we have to be back in bangkok for our flight home and don't really want to travel back on ourselves too much.

#3 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 07:15

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I would opt to fly from Bangkok to Hanoi (Air Asia is good and cheaper than other carriers)

from Hanoi you can see Halong Bay, Sapa (awesome) and then move south to Hoi An, Dalat and to the Mekong Delta. Most people will say to stop in Nha Trang and Saigon, but I avoid those 2 places if possible (we're all different/different tastes). From S. Vietnam it's an easy trip to Cambodia, and work your way north to Laos and finally back to Thai.

You should know that road travel is somewhat dangerous here (especially bad in Vietnam) - flights are expensive, but far safer. Train travel is very limited and only in Vietnam and Thai.

#4 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 13:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How feasible is 3 months travel in SE Asia? ... By cjbaines on 1 Nov 2014 5 432 2 Nov 2014
Best time to travel around Southeast Asia for 6 months? ... By Nibsynibsy on 11 Apr 2013 6 3704 20 Oct 2014
Backpacking SE Asia in January for 6 months - Travel buds wanted! ... By AaronCole on 23 Oct 2013 5 1685 28 Oct 2013