Southeast Asia forum

4 Weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia - Critique my Itinerary!

• guyincognito

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

I'm planning a four week trip to SE Asia for our Honeymoon in Oct-Nov. This is the first time we've gotten anything close to four weeks straight for travel, and I don't think it will happen again for a long time. Since this may be our only opportunity for a while, I've been wrestling between seeing a few places but getting to spend a lot of time at each, or seeing a medium number of places but only being able to spend a medium amount of time at each. Right now I think the plan I have leans towards the latter.

Any suggestions on this itinerary would be greatly appreciated - is this a reasonable amount of time to enjoy each destination, or would I be better off cutting out a few places? If the latter, any suggestions on which places to cut out and how to rejig the itinerary?

I'm hoping for a plan with good variety in what we see and do (big cities, small towns, nature stuff, and a bit of beach time -- and my Fiancee absolutely wants to make it to Angor Wat :)). We're willing to fly to save time, since we only have four weeks, but I've tried to stick to flight connections that are direct and not too costly. And I'm also trying to avoid spending too much time backtracking. This schedule has us passing through Bangkok for Loi Krathong - I think the experience would be really cool, but I'd be willing to cut it out if it made for a significantly improved itinerary overall.

Thanks for any advice you have!!

Friday, Oct 25 Fly to Bangkok
    Saturday, Oct 26 Fly to Bangkok
    Sunday, Oct 27 Bangkok
    Monday, Oct 28 Bangkok
    Tuesday, Oct 29 Train to Chiang Mai (Night)
    Wednesday, Oct 30 Chiang Mai
    Thursday, Oct 31 Chiang Mai
    Friday, Nov 1 Chiang Mai
    Saturday, Nov 2 Chiang Mai
    Sunday, Nov 3 Plane to Luang Prabang
    Monday, Nov 4 Luang Prabang
    Tuesday, Nov 5 Luang Prabang
    Wednesday, Nov 6 Luang Prabang
    Thursday, Nov 7 Bus to Vang Vieng
    Friday, Nov 8 Vang Vieng
    Saturday, Nov 9 Bus to Vientiane
    Sunday, Nov 10 Vientiane
    Monday, Nov 11 Plane to Siem Reap
    Tuesday, Nov 12 Siem Reap
    Wednesday, Nov 13 Siem Reap
    Thursday, Nov 14 Siem Reap
    Friday, Nov 15 Bus to Phnom Phen
    Saturday, Nov 16 Phnom Phen
    Sunday, Nov 17 Plane to Bangkok
    Monday, Nov 18 Train/Plane to Islands
    Tuesday, Nov 19 Ko Lanta or Ko Phi Phi
    Wednesday, Nov 20 Ko Lanta or Ko Phi Phi
    Thursday, Nov 21 Ko Lanta or Ko Phi Phi
    Friday, Nov 22 Train/Plane to Bangkok
    Saturday, Nov 23 Fly to Toronto

#1 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 22:22

• Advertisement

• Drew84

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2011

too much travel! i had similar ambitions back when i did 4 weeks in 2011. my advice is do thailand and maybe a couple days in siem reap. dont waste any time before leaving bangkok once you arrive in thailand. you'll see enough of bangkok between destinations. many people make the same mistakes of doing so much and trying to cram many places in. from a fellow canuck, sometimes less is more.

#2 Posted: 25/2/2013 - 23:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Firstly, congrats on the upcoming marriage!

Whilst I would normally say slow it down, I do understand what you are trying to achieve, and as long as you are prepared for the rapid pace of travel, and acknowledge that you will be experiencing the highlights rather than more of a cultural immersion, then go for it! But just remember that each time you travel from one place to the next, you will typically lose a day (getting to/from airport, waiting time, travel time, check-in/out hotel, more waiting time, etc)

Having said that, if it were me, I'd do one or more of the following:

1. You land in BKK 3 nights, and will spend at least one night there each time. Get rid of one of those stays. Cut back on your time in Bkk to may only 2-3 nights in total, and if you plan to do lots of shopping, consider spending that time at the end so you're not lugging your stuff around. Alternatively, if you're staying at the same hotel at the end, you can leave stuff at the hotel to retrieve when you return a few weeks later.

2.I think Vientiane and Phnom Pehn warrant an extra night each if you take away a night or two elsewhere.

3. Use one of the 1-2 of the days that you take off from Bkk and add it to LP. But use this time to take a mini-van up to Nong Khiaw (4 hrs) for 2 nights then take a boat back to LP (5-6 hrs of river scenery) before flying out. It's well worth it for a more rural-ish experience to get out of the bigger cities/towns which is mostly what you will see otherwise. You can decide this once you are in LP as it's very easy to organise a boat the day before, and to then walk around once you are there to find accom.

4. Alternatively, take 1-2 of the days from Bkk and spend it on the island. You'll need it by the time you get there - and it IS your honeymoon after all!

Good on you for choosing to fly the longer routes in spite of the extra costs - you'd be nuts to try it otherwise. :-)

Hope that helps....

#3 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 01:11

• guyincognito

Joined Travelfish
    25th February, 2013

Thanks for the advice!

If we were to completely cut out a few stops, any suggestions on the obvious places to cut? How long is a good amount of time to spend in each place? I hear lots of people saying less is more, but how much less? I don't mind having a schedule that is a bit rushed (I'm used to that, and I know I only have four weeks), but I definitely don't want us to be so rushed that we don't enjoy it.

Busylizzy - I see your point about Bangkok. I will try to cut a day or two here. Visting Nong Khiaw sounds really cool - but I'm afraid of what it would mean to add two more day of travel to this itinerary... if only we had more time! I was thinking the Bus to Vang Vieng and some time there might give a more rural-ish feel.. or is this too much on the 'tourist trail'?

Drew84 - What itinerary did you end up doing?

Thanks again for all the tips - advice from people who have been there and done it is really helpful (whether they are telling me what I hope to hear or not ;))

#4 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 17:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Since you are only going to Phnom Penh for 2 nights on this schedule, perhaps just skip it to save on traveling around so much. I enjoyed PP, but with your schedule you only get one full day there - and if you go to see the 'highlights' of S21 and the Killing Fields . . . well, a honeymoon does not it make. Cutting it would allow you to add an extra day to either Vientiane or Vang Vieng so that you could relax a little bit more on that leg of the journey - and you could try to arrange a flight directly from Siem Reap to one of the islands to streamline your passage.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2013 - 07:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand/Cambodia/Laos 6 WEEKS ITINERARY ... By charlottem92 on 19 May 2014 6 780 20 May 2014
5 Weeks Itinerary for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia - Help?! ... By bootshike on 14 Jun 2012 12 5052 21 Feb 2013
Itinerary suggestions- 10 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ... By Iwanttogetaway on 17 Apr 2011 11 5790 20 Apr 2011
Thailand-Laos-Cambodia 8 weeks itinerary advice ... By roro1990 on 30 Aug 2013 12 2600 1 Sep 2013
Itinerary Help - 5-6 Weeks in June (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia) ... By plew10 on 22 Mar 2010 4 4828 19 Apr 2013
Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia ... By woodstock8 on 26 May 2010 4 4658 1 Jun 2010
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos - 4 weeks - itinerary advise ... By Coboooo on 22 Feb 2013 2 1873 1 Mar 2013
Critique my Thailand itinerary! ... By TorontoJay on 1 Aug 2013 5 1660 5 Aug 2013
3-4 weeks Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos itinerary ... By judenbot on 16 Apr 2007 1 6730 16 Apr 2007
Last 5 weeks of freedom! please help with my itinerary - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, ... By Becca on 13 Jul 2010 4 2858 14 Jul 2010